Unable to take control of Authui.dll access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuamays

So im finally starting to tweak my desktop (Personalizing Theme). Currently in the process of messing around with Reaper S7n (Theme modifier) and Nexus (Icon Dock). I'll post an attatchment with a screen of my desktop.

Here's my problem: I'm trying to modifiy my start menu so that I will instead have a 1click icon on my dock. But for some reason when try to take control of the Authiui.dll I get an access denied message. Heres an awesome link with full instruction as what to do. In case anyone else is interested in this modification: http://rajtheeban95.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d238ia8
that start menu orb looks so cool.

Heres what modifications that I have made in the past: I patched 3 .dll system files including uxtheme.dll , themeservice.dll , themeui.dll. However, I restored them to their original state. I replaced the ExplorerFrame.dll , shell32.dll , and explorer.exe with modified copies. The exact script is available upon request. All of the files that were modified and replaced all requied me to take ownership of them.

I never could get every aspect of this Theme Mod to work. So I did a System Restore to the benchmark I made before I started patching and didnt restore properly after reboot. So I then undid the Restore and thats when I manually unpatched those 3 .dll files that I first mentioned. Everything else I have left the same.

I saved all my original .dll's in a separate folder, so I could just as well go back and manually undo everything I did.

Heres a link to Reaper S7n for anyone interested. I couldnt find any posts on it on this forum. So heres one now ;) http://www.themebin.com/windows-7-themes/reaper-s7n-windows-7-theme/

Any ideas what to do troubleshoot this access denied error?

LOL k so I figured it out when I was writing this. Must have selected wrong user to try to allow full file access to. Oh well. I still post this anyways. Check out those links. Especially if you aren't that experienced with this stuff. Its so easy I can almost do it.

That problem aside I still need to figure out what I did wrong with my installation :(

Attachments

• tspotDesktopUi.jpg
    tspotDesktopUi.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 7
  • newdesktoppic.jpg
    newdesktoppic.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 7
So, do you just want to know how to take ownership/control over a file in WIndows 7? To allow you control over it so you can do what you wish with it?? If so reply back and I'll tell you the command on how to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back