Unable to use system restore or defrag tool in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
For over a week now I have been unable to defrag drives, tried system restore but nothing happens when I try to open it. We have also lost fast user switching for no apparent reason. Person logged on must log out before next person can log in. Want to avoid full reload as XP disc gives message "system installed is newer version etc." Service pack 2 installed weeks ago without problems.
Any help would be appreciated.

Ken Veitch

The interruption of defrag is normally caused by a process running in the background...have you tried to run it after booting into safe mode where most processes are temporarily disabled ? ?

patio. :cool:

Already tried that, defrag opens but cannot continue with it. click on analyse and it freezes, only way out is ctrl/alt/del then task manager says program not responding. Biggest problem is no system restore so cannot roll back to better times.

most of the time I have seen behavior such as you describe. ie, cant use system restore, cant defrag and usually cant run Disk clean up, ( it freezes) it usually is the result of a trojan on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back