Uneven Q6600 Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, recently I got a new Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink, I began overclocking my CPU, and I noticed at my current settings (3.3 GHz, 1.312V) There is a 10 degrees Celsius spread between my core 0 and core 3 (74C, and 64C). Is this normal? Will it get better if I give the arcitc silver five more time to spread out/get into grooves? What can I do to remedy this problem (if there is a solution).
Thanks!
Also, what should my max temp. under load be for my cores?

Thanks. Also, the heatsink that I got is a tower heatsink, and I'm pretty sure that the fan is supposed to blow through it so that the air goes out of the rear fan in your case. However, I didn't have enough space in my case to situate the heatsink that way, so I have the fan upwards. Will this affect the cooling of the CPU in any way, and could it bring about this temperature range?

Run Hard and Put Away Wet.......

You might consider pulling up task manager to see if both cores are equally loaded. The one doing the most work will run the hottest.

I would think the PSU fan would pick up and evacuate some of the heat from your installation. You might have to "bite the noise bullet" so to speak and run the rear case fan a bit higher to compensate for the misdirected air flow. Also a bit more boost from the front fan should help to point the airflow out toward the back of the case. Keep in mind what you can get away with a stock clocked CPU, is not so easily forgiven by an overclocked one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back