Unexplainable graphics distortion

By krawford
Nov 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. i dont know what is wrong but if anyone can solve this problem they would be a godsend

Attached Files:

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,489   +292

My first guess would be a bad video card. Does it happen on the POST screen? If not, do you have a live linux cd or can you download one and boot from it and see if it happens.
  3. Matt12345170

Matt12345170 TechSpot Member Posts: 95   +18

Hey - in my experience, a poorly seated video card can cause a lot of problems. I had a similar issue a few months ago.

If you know how, I would try and re-seat it, if not - best let someone who does take a look at it.

If you do end-up attempting to re-seat it, just make sure that

1. The power is off - and the computer is unplugged
    2. The eliminate the charge that your computer stores (hit the power button while its off)
    3. Ground yourself - usually touching the metal on the inside of your case is sufficient enough to eliminate the static charge inside of you if you popping on your computer for a brief visit.
    4. Remove the DVI/other connection cables from the card. Take out the video card but be careful handling it - do not touch the gold pins at the bottom - try to hold the card by its edges/case.
    5. Carefully re-insert the card into the same slot that you found it in.
    6. Close the case.
    7. Connect all cables that you unplugged.
    8. Power Up.

Good Luck! - and if you need any help - feel free to private message me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.