TechSpot

Unexplained lag spikes in WoW

By joe0001
Dec 24, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I am receiving some very bad lag in WoW, literally 0-1 fps for an idea of what this is like-imagine taking 1minute to turn your character around. This is not random it happens when I am in a city or near alot of players such as a raid. With that being said it would seem as though it is an internet affair but my ms is fast and at a very low 256.

When I am not near players my fps is from 50-80 which is 'perfect' gameplay, all my settings are on super low, vertical split disabled as well as triple buffering.
    I have notice that if I am far and i face a congested area of players i lag, If I were to get in that area and manage to turn to not face the players, I am playing perfectly again, then turn back around same problem! THAT makes me mad.
    Please Help.

My system:
    Monitor 60Hz
    Cpu is Intel Celeron 3.46Ghz (always at 100% during incident)
    250gb HDD
    2.5GB DDR2 Ram, pc only recognises 2GB of it though 667Mhz speed
    512mb Nvidia Video Graphic Card

2. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,923   +179

If you have any addons installed you should first try disabling them all to see if it makes a difference, if not;
    Make sure you have the latest drivers for all your hardware (Especially the integrated NIC controller on your mainboard)

And also update your graphics drivers
    nVidia drivers; http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

3. Marty7n

Marty7n TS Rookie Posts: 32

close all runing programs that dont need to be runing!ctr,alt + Delete,go into task manager through control panel either,should help a little bit!

4. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

I blame Blizzard :p

5. g4mer

g4mer TS Maniac Posts: 310

Empty Cache and WTF folder maybe.

6. TECHwizard

TECHwizard TS Rookie

idd

7. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 480

I lag too and my system is high end. It has to do with server lag, there is no avoiding it except to go to a less populated server. There are only so many people that can be on a server at once and when that number is exceeded, the lag comes. It is that way in every online game. I never lag when I use Dungeon Finder and I am with 4 others for a 5 person party because 5 people in that area is the max.