TechSpot

UNICEF reminds the Internet that Facebook Likes don't save lives

By Dave LeClair
May 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. All too often we see causes spread on social networks claiming that, for each Like received, some sort of a charitable contribution will be made. But today UNICEF Sweden launched a campaign reminding people that Facebook Likes do not equate...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,156   +737

I wonder if they've seen a decrease in donations recently that led to this reminder campaign. I would bet they've instead just seen an drastic increase in 'likes' (therefore, awareness), but haven't had an increase in donations.

Making a donation causes people to feel good about contributing to a cause. And I'm sure people get that same satisfaction from 'liking' it on FB. Plus, when you like it on FB you can share that and show all your friends what a caring person you are. It's exact opposite of the lesson from Sunday school, which was to help the less fortunate and not mention it, let alone brag about it. Now people are bragging about helping, but aren't actually doing anything to help. Our narcissistic society has reached a new low.

3. This is true. It is very easy to click "Like." It is much harder to actually make a donation, or give time, or actually dedicate your life to eradicating poverty.

H3llion likes this.
  4. Clicking "Like" is analogous to wearing a ribbon in support of a cause. It does nothing except make the wearer feel good about himself or herself.

5. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 462   +84

That ribbon would have cost you 1$ or something and that money would have gone toward that cause.

Clicking "like" is more along the lines of saying "thats nice.." and going on with their lives not giving a damn.

6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Well the above comments are true, but in addition paying for goods via SMS messages in Sweden became impossible, it was said because it was to prevent money laundering but the real answer probably was that the phone companies could not live up to the same scrutiny that banks must have when offering money transactions...

This made a huge dent in donations though, because SMS donations had become very popular in Sweden and was a great way to get donations quickly when a sudden disaster had occurred...

7. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 604   +106

UNICEF has some balls attacking anyone. UNICEF''S official admin rate is 5% but critics put it more at around 45%. By the time your charity dollar filters through the UN and their cronies the actual amount reaching children are pennies on the dollar. I use to go out and collect for them as a child, now they disgust me.

Timonius likes this.
  8. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

Now it seems to be kind of awkward to 'like' a comment on this article
    ;p

Darkshadoe likes this.
  9. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 950   +22

So as we all knew, plugs and even specialness are useless. Wonder why people pay to advertise then.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.