TechSpot

Unicode Fonts in Win 98 SE

By ravisunny2
Dec 25, 2006
  1. I down loaded some Bengali ( an Indian language) fonts, and when I viewed them, I found them to be in either English or empty rectangles.

I am using MS Word in Win 98SE enviornment.

After doing some net search, I learned that Win 98 does not have a 'unicode layer', but there is a workaround using some add on s/w (which I was unable to download) or installing 'mscows.dll' ( may be misspelled).

Can anyone help ?

By the way, I use the Microsoft add on product VKEY.EXE (virtual keyboard) when using non-English text.

Ravi Banthia

2. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,971   +10

Just forget what language the font is used for.

It happens to be a Unicode font.

My win 98SE has served me well, and I don't want to bid it farewell on account one apparent weakness.

3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,418   +77

a google for mscows.dll will turn up everything you need to know, from people who have done it. Easy !!

4. ravisunny2

Gooogle

Well, this is what good ole google had to say (by the way it's a complete circle) ( and I think all the riches of the world are worthless if the search engine is primitive (fast isn't equivalent to good) )

It's because of this I posted my help request on TECHSPOT !

Did you mean: mscorwks.dll
    Bangla Savvy
    IF you have installed IE 6+, you have the ‘Microsoft Layer for Unicode’ or ‘MSCOWS.DLL’ which provides the Unicode functions…You can install it separately ...www.banglasavvy.com/ - 50k - Cached - Similar pages
    The Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/Me Systems ...
    ... which developed with the Unicode support for Win98/ME - 'Microsoft Layer for Unicode' for Win98/ME [meant, which application utilize 'mscows.dll'] ...omicronlab.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=307&view=old - 100k - Cached - Similar pages
    How to use Bengali fonts in MS word under win 98SE - OmicronLab ...
    On one site I saw that MSCOWS.DLL was required. Where do I get it ? Will it work in the 98SE enviornment ? Ravi Banthia. User is offline Profile Card · PM ...omicronlab.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680&view=getlastpost - 55k - Cached - Similar pages[ More results from omicronlab.com ]
    Unicode Fonts in Win 98 SE - TechSpot Troubleshooting
    ... a 'unicode layer', but there is a workaround using some add on s/w (which I was unable to download) or installing 'mscows.dll' ( may be misspelled). ...www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-66032-Unicode-Fonts-in-Win-98-SE.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
    In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries

5. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

6. ravisunny2

Dear Goalie,

Thanks for the link. I did download, but it turned out to be 'unicows.dll'.

I still couldn't get the fonts to work right.

I need to try again. Will let you know if it works.

Ravi

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.