TechSpot

Unidentified MoBo and PSU connections

By majorblenks
Apr 15, 2008
  1. Hi all

My computer has developed a fault in that it wont turn on. I've find that it is the power supply as a replacement will work.

However, the problem is regarding the PSU-MoBo connections that 'need' to be made...

The machine came from evesham computers (originally). I believe the MoBo is a shuttle but cant be sure. The only details I could fine were some numbers on the MoBo itself - FS51 v2.0, D33032, N2801. Anyway, it has the standard 20 pin connection, but instead of an additional 4 pin connector (3.3v?) in a 2x2 shape it is in a 1x4 shape and is called a 'peripheral' connection(?)

The PSU that died is (I suspect) a specially designed power supply. Anyway it is an "Acheme" switching power supply, model no: AM630BS20S, 200W.

Is it necessary that i use this additional connection if I'm not running any hefty peripherals like a GC? As i expect that a standard 'small' PSU will have not have this special connector - Basically can i just run my computer using a new PSU just supplying power via the 20 pin connector?

Thanks

MB

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

Hmm, based on this image of the AM630BS20S up for grabs on eBay, it has a "2x2" shaped connector. Either you're mistaken on the connector or model, or you've got some form of an OEM version.

The AM630BS20S appears to be of the Flex-ATX form factor. You might have trouble mounting an ATX PSU.

You might want to just buy one of the AM630BS20S's on eBay, as there appear to be quite a few.

Mind taking a few pictures of your PSU and motherboard (if possible)?

3. majorblenks

majorblenks TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

my Acheme PSU model does have the 2x2 pin as well as a 1x4 pin connector. I presume the PSU is specially made, but I'm more worried about whether or not my MoBo (presumably a shuttle) needs something plugged into this 1x4 pin connection it has.

On my Mobo there is no 2x2 (4) pin slot it is a 1x4 (4) pin slot, just to clarify :p

I'll add some pics of MoBo and PSU asap

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.