TechSpot

Unidentified Network? Help Please

By snpr
Jan 7, 2010
  1. Hi, on another PC Atm. On the original PC, I use a belkin wireless router. It was working fine until last night when the net dropped out for some reason. Anyway I unplugged it then plugged it back in then it worked fine. Now today I had the router connected to my PC Physically with a blue network cable and when I went to put it back to the way it originally was (connected wirelessly) I can connect to the router fine, but I can't access the net.

It just says "Unidentified Network" - Apparently its an unidentified network, and because of it I cant connect to the net. I can't see how software / updates would be an issue, it worked fine before It dropped out that night and before I was connected to the router via the blue network cable.

I use windows Vista. I would appreciate any help, if you need model numbers of the modem / router or Ipcnofig stuff just ask and I'll be sure to relpy as fast as I can.

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Hi

unidentified network is usually a wireless network that isnt transmitting its SSID, is your router set to broadcast its SSID (channel and security setting in the router setup page)

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,514   +336

a) what's the make & model of the router and
    b) did you EVER set the admin password other than the original default? you should have

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.