Uninstall option not working

majinboo555

I tried to install the game transformers. It works but i have not properly installed it. Now the program is not present in the add/remove program option. It also has an uninstall.exe that does not work since the file is missing...

I have tried reinstalling the game because i read it will try to replace the old program. Again, it was not properly installed since the installer asks me to insert another disc but i only have 1 disk. I burrowed the cd from a friend and he has the same problem.

Now, i would just like to get rid of the program, and im having thoughts of manually removing it and i dont know the proper procedure on doing it. Kindly guide me through the process, im not quite familiar with the registry stuff they speak about.

Thanks.

Your safest bet is to use System Restore to go back before you installed the program.

Was this a genuine copy or pirated, as your friend also had the same problem it sounds likely that it is either a bad copy or the disc is damaged.

Don't even consider touching the registry unless you know what you are doing.

You could try using Ccleaner but be aware of the risks, System Restore will be a much safer option.

Creating a Restore point is always a good idea before installing new software incase something goes wrong, especially when you know it has caused a problem on another PC.

Yes, System Restore would be the best option, and you don’t say why you don’t seem prepared to use it.

For CCleaner to do the job properly, its uninstaller mode must “see” the program but if, as you say, it’s not present in the Windows add/remove program option, it’s highly unlikely CCleaner will see it. Nevertheless, you lose nothing by trying.

On the other hand, using CCleaner in the general registry cleaning mode would be of little use. For proper and safe work, it’s necessary to not only know the registry but also the particular program involved, and no automated tool can do that. This is also the reason why you should not undertake any work on the registry yourself without clear instructions. As regards risks of using CCleaner in this mode, they are small but not entirely negligible, benefits are unlikely, so it’s your decision.

You still have other options, but I’d first like to have some feedback on what has been said and asked so far in this thread.

okay. i will try using the ccleaner...

Why? The best option is System Restore which will put you right back where you started without any part of the game installed, now confirmed by another member.

If you need instructions to use System Restore you only have to ask.

The install disc you have for the game is clearly a bad copy so using Ccleaner is not going to get the game to work, if that is what you are hoping.

I would learn from the advise that is being given and in future do not try to install any software that you have already seen to fail on other PC's.

Using CCleaner was only a suggestion but you may make the problem worse if you use it.

System Restore is the recommended way to go.

okay guys, thanks. Sorry for the late reply btw, its only now that i am able to use my pc. I am not quite familiar on the use of system restore to remove this program but with your instructions, i am sure that i will be able to manage it. Although i might add, what would happen to the other files that i have installed/dowloaded after the GAME TRANSFORMERS, as i believe they to will be removed?

As i tried to use the CCleaner, the uninstall option for the game is too not in the list.

Thanks.

OK, this is for windows 7.

Click Start and then Control Panel, then System. Select System protection from the left hand pane. Then select the System Protection tab. Click on System Restore button and in the next window click on Next and select a restore point that has a date before the game was installed.

In XP click on Start, then All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. The System Restore window opens, select Restore my Computer to an earlier time, click on Next and then select the restore point. Click on the dates shown in bold and it will show a list of what was installed. Pick one before the game was installed.

Please state your OS for any further help.

The restore will wipe out anything that you have installed since the date your select.

You only have one other straight forward option, to use CCleaner. I have recently started to use it myself (the latest version) and have found that all the hysteria about registry cleaners may be getting a bit out of date. If you create a restore point before using it you have nothing to fear.

This is the link for the latest version.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Click on either link just below "Version 3.07.1457" at the bottom of the "At Home" box.

As I expected, CCleaner uninstaller couldn't see your program. I further don't expect it will do much good, but you can try if you want to.

However, I don't want to overload you with simultaneous instructions from 2 people. So, if you don't want to use System Restore because it will clear all apps installed after creation of the Restore Point (which may include some apps you actually installed before the one you want to get rid of), get back and we'll try further options you have.

ok, thanks... i have used the system restore option and have backed up the files i installed after the program. i will reinstall them again...

OK, you are back to where you started. Be carefull with what you use in future, games downloaded off the internet, especially if you are using P2P sites can often contain Malware. Burned pirated copies of games made by someone who does not know what they are doing will cause nothing but trouble for your PC.

Back