Uninstalled IE7, can't connect to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterproof

My friend just uninstalled IE7 from his computer, and well I tried helping him but I can't lol. The help that I need is how do you reinstall IE7 (where you can't connect to the internet any more, that you don't have any other browsers installed before hand) I went through system recovery and my friend has not done a system backup at all, and the XP CD, he doesn't have it any more.

Any solutions?

Install Firefox!!!!

Now, here's how to install Firefox without using Internet Explorer:

To start FTP, click on the Start menu, then "Run..." and enter:

ftp

Then click "OK."

When the ftp> prompt appears, type:

open releases.mozilla.org

Then press Enter. You will be connected to the Mozilla Firefox FTP download site.

Note that you will need to press Enter after every command that follows.

When prompted for your username enter: anonymous As your password enter: your email address

When the ftp> prompt reappears enter these commands, one at a time, pressing enter after each one and waiting for a response from the server:

cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases
cd latest-2.0
cd win32

Now, to see a list of languages and countries that Firefox is available for, type:

ls

If you live in the United States or you prefer your interface in U.S. English, your next command is:

cd en-US

If you prefer another language, cd to that directory instead.

Next, to find out the name of the current version of the Firefox installer, use one more "ls" command:

ls

This last "ls" command will show you the exact name of the installer for the current version of Firefox 2.0, among other files. You are looking for the filename that ends with .exe. AS OF THIS WRITING, it is:

Firefox Setup 2.0.0.6.exe

But you need to use the ls command to see what the current version is instead of relying on this.

Next, type the command:

binary

To make sure the file is moved as a program and not as a text file, which would ruin it.

We're almost ready! But if we downloaded the file now, it would not wind up on your desktop. It would show up in your home folder instead... and you probably don't even know what that means! Fortunately, the desktop "lives" right inside your home folder, so we can use the lcd (Local Change Directory) command to go there:

lcd Desktop

Finally, we're ready to type:

get "Firefox Setup 2.0.0.6.exe"

If that is the setup program name you found with the ls command.

(The quotation marks are important!)

Now: relax! The file will take a while to download. On a dialup modem it could take a very long while. Go get a cup of coffee.

When the ftp> prompt comes back without an error message, type:

quit

Close or minimize your application windows and you'll find that the Firefox installation program is now waiting for you on your desktop! Double-click that file to install Firefox.

In the future, of course, you can start Firefox from the Start menu. There is no need to install it every time, and you can drag the installer to the trash can when you are completely finished installing Firefox.

and then you can download internet explorer, i suggest you have two internet browsers, just in case

i suppose if you have a different computer, (besides the broken one)

and if you have a flash drive, you can save the application when downloading

(instead of Run or Open choose the save option, then save it to your flash drive)

vista_ie8_step_01.jpg

heres the link to firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

heres internet explorer 8 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/default.aspx

then connect it to the browserless machine and open the app to install. (firefox or IE)

I like to get browser installers by going to the browser's web site with a different browser. IE, I always get Firefox packages using Opera, and vice versa. That way,pretty much all you can do is save the file. If you go to the browser that you want to install's own website, it's usually a hassle, and an attempt to either update, or a live install. If you go to Opera with FF, they can't screw with you.

There is a chance that you damaged your mobo's LAN driver, so if all else fails, try reinstalling that.

I don't think that IE is actually uninstallable, per se, but I'm not sure.

Just take a flash drive over to a friend's house, and grab FF & Opera at one shot.

My friend lives quite a distance.
Anyway, could you download a internet browser through a proxy server? if it has a built firewall and that downloading via ftp couldn't be done?

if he does not live near you,

the first option i gave you is the best one in your situation.

there is no other way if he has no way to connect to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back