Uninstalling apps on Win 7 Ultimate

nsmorado

hello again...

i was able to make my desktop pc dual boot (win xp sp2 and win 7 ultimate). i read from the other threads here that i have to install apps on both OS's. but since that would mean reducing my hard drive space, i then started uninstalling some of the apps on the drive with win 7. and i got this error message:

ERROR 1606: Could not access network location
%APPDATA%\.

i am not techie with this thing and would like to know what can be the best solultion so i can remove some of the apps i have already installed on win 7 (since they don't work properly on that OS).

many thanks,
nsmorado

you're likely trying to run the wrong version of the software. for example, an installation of Adobe Photoshop installed under Windows XP, will not work properly when accessed through 7. both operating systems have their own "Program Files" folders where the corresponding apps should be installed. if you try to run your programs across both platforms, you're likely to experience all sorts of fun little errors. some applications may actually run, but you'll want to pick an OS for each program.

@EXCellR8

thanks for the replies. that's what i noticed too. but i had the apps MS Office installed on both platforms (MS Office 2003 for win 7 and MS Office 2007 for win xp). now that i want to uninstall the 2003 version of MS Office on win 7, i got that message. it would look ridiculous to have two different versions of the same apps on my comp, that's the reason why i have to remove one.

@LookinAround:

sorry about that, it's not on MS Office that I received this error message. it was on the ACDSee 7.00 program. with MS Office and Adobe apps, there were yet different errors. but i have to write it down again.

@LookinAround:

sorry about that, it's not on MS Office that I received this error message. it was on the ACDSee 7.00 program. with MS Office and Adobe apps, there were yet different errors. but i have to write it down again.
A couple of things (but i'd have to follow up tomorrow as i'm too tired to look up the detail at this point of the night)

Your Windows Event Log will probably have a record of these errors (and maybe with more detail). Probably in the Application log.

/* edit */
And if worse comes to worse, there's a MS Installer Cleanup tool (tho i don't recall if it works for Win 7) that removes the registry entries so Windows hopefully stops thinking they're installed. (but it leaves the files on your disk so you'd still need manual cleanup)

@LookinAround:

Hi nsmorado

Following up with some info for you about Windows 7 Event Viewer

Tho, frankly, after having thought a bit more about your situation of you having tried to install the same program for use across different partitions for different Windows OS I think your best and safest solution to assure each installation in each partition is clean, is to bite the bullet and reinstall each Windows paritition again along with each program installation needed in each partition :(

In any case, is your choice. Also, you might want to capture a disk image of each partition before either a reinstall or even just trying to cleanup (to protect against worst case scenarios... is always good to be cautios) EASUS ToDo backup is a good freeware disk imaging backup tool

ouch!!! that means i have to do it all over again... ok if that's the only solution then i have no other choice... thanks for the advice sir

nsmorado

ouch!!! that means i have to do it all over again... ok if that's the only solution then i have no other choice... thanks for the advice sir

nsmorado
yea.. i know is probably painful.. but probably the safest and least grief for the future.. and it least if you do have any future problems you'll know it's not due to bad or corrupt program installs between the partitions :)

Back