Uninstalling Norton and Live Update

odriscoll27

Hi,

I have recently been given a laptop to mend which has a faulty screen and needs some of the software removing. Replacing the screen was easy but now i have come a cropper with the software. The laptop is runnin Windows XP Home.

The Software
the software in question is Norton Internet Security Suite 2004 and the Liveupdate. I have tried the obv usual method of going into control panel and going to add/remove programs but I only have the option of uninstalling the Live Update. I tried to do this but i couldn't as i needed to uninstall Norton Internet Security Suite first. Of course if being Norton it was not in the add/remove programs list (i hate norton with a passion).

What i did find...
Doing a quick search on the computer i found some uninstallation files Under "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec\" However it would only give me the option to uninstall Norton Antivirus. I did this hopeing it would help but it hasnt. Now Norton keeps telling me every 5 minutes or so that my Antivirus is out of date and i have no idea how to turn the alert off.

Other Information
The laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote E6307 with Windows XP Home pre-sintalled. Naturally under Admin Controls ->Computer Management->Storage i can see a HDD Drive called "Backup" which i belive Packard Bell are using to back drivers up ect but i cannot see it under My Comptuer ???? Also it the "Backup" drive has been formatted as FAT32 as opposed to NTFS

I am really confused as what to do as there are lots of irreplaceable photos etc on the laptop which cannot be replace and im reluctant to re-install windows because of it. Any help in removing Norton would be really appreciated though worst case scenario i will have a lot of backing up to do and just re-install windows.

Thanks in advance
James

Back