Uninstalling Ubuntu dual-booting Windows XP with Ubuntu installed first

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long title indeed, but it pretty much sums it all up. I have installed Ubuntu first and then dual booted windows XP. I soon found out that the fact Ubuntu wasn't compatible with many programs (even through wine) I wanted only Windows XP on my pc.
I've searched many topics, but all described how to uninstall Ubuntu when Windows was the primary OS. In my case Ubuntu is the main OS and it dual boots with Windows and I want to rid myself of Ubuntu leaving only Windows.

What do I need to do to get the desired computer setup? Or is it irrelevant which OS was installed first and will a guide describing how to remove Ubuntu from windows work as well for my case.

Important addition: I could very well be the biggest computer-noob you've encountered thus far. So talk to me as though I am 4 year old :p

shouldn't matter the install sequence if you want to only have Windows. Boot into Windows and then delete (from disk management) the linux partitions. This may leave your computer in a state where you can not boot into Windows. To fix this you'll have to boot off the XP install disk and boot to the recovery console, once there type 'fixmbr' without the '

Also, worth pointing out that Virtualbox will allow you to run most things virtually on your Linux desktop.

I use it all the time for Windows based diagnostic software, which i run using Oracle Virtualbox on my linux desktop.

Essentially, its a genuine installation of whatever Windows OS, which runs in a window on your desktop. Ideal if you need to run older or non-supported software. :)

I'm happy to supply more information and answer any questions if you feel its suitable for your needs.

This old lady doesn't know how to identify Ubu partition(s)

shouldn't matter the install sequence if you want to only have Windows. Boot into Windows and then delete (from disk management) the linux partitions. This may leave your computer in a state where you can not boot into Windows. To fix this you'll have to boot off the XP install disk and boot to the , once there type 'fixmbr' without the

I can see the partitions via disk management, but I have no idea which is which. One section has a green line around it. Is this pertinent?

I am 66 and we didn't have a TV until I was 6 years old. This stuff is difficult, and I need the specifics. Is there a way to post a screen capture so that you folks could see what I see? Let me know. Also, if you could send an email that would be wonderful because I just figured out how to post, and don't really know how to look for answers or know when someone responds. Can't put email in one of these, so a private message??? Oops, the link was in the quoted material. Man, this is a pain in the butt.

How to recognize Ubuntu partition in Disk Manager

Also, worth pointing out that Virtualbox will allow you to run most things virtually on your Linux desktop.

I use it all the time for Windows based diagnostic software, which i run using Oracle Virtualbox on my linux desktop.

Essentially, its a genuine installation of whatever Windows OS, which runs in a window on your desktop. Ideal if you need to run older or non-supported software. :)

I'm happy to supply more information and answer any questions if you feel its suitable for your needs.

I have no idea how to recognize which partition is which. I was happy I was able to find them. Old gal needs help with specifics.

I have sent you my email address Bobbitz, it will be in your private messages inbox (which can be found by clicking the private messages link near the top right of this page).

Send me an email explaining what you need to do, and what operating systems you have and I'll talk you through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back