Unionized Apple store employees propose tipping, increased pay, and more paid time off

Jimmy2x

Staff
Why it matters: Apple store employees made headlines last year after successfully unionizing at the company's Towson, Maryland location. The Apple Coalition of Retail Employees (AppleCORE) was established to ensure that Apple management teams acknowledge employee rights by including them in negotiations on issues such as pay, scheduling, and professional development. According to a recently reported proposal, employees are now looking for tips for their time spent providing customer service.

AppleCORE will be negotiating their proposed requests with the company's labor representatives later this week. The new proposal, as previously reported by Bloomberg, includes several requests to address employee compensation and leave issues. One of those requests, however, has started raising eyebrows ever since it was announced.

In an effort to address employee concerns about profit sharing and bonus structures, the group has requested the addition of an optional tipping system on in-store credit card purchases. The system would allow (and some would argue even encourage) Apple store customers to include tips in increments of 3%, 5%, or any other custom amount they see fit based on the service received.

Upon being questioned about the decision, AppleCORE's representatives said they "...thought adopting a model already used by other workers who provide services to their community might be the simplest to implement." The tips would be distributed to bargaining unit employees on a bi-weekly basis based on the number of hours worked.

The proposed idea to include tipping for in-store purchases has been met with mixed reactions. Some supporters agree that Apple employees should be able to accept tips for exemplary customer service. Others, however, are questioning AppleCORE's decision and overall approach to addressing its organization's wage concerns.

Critics of AppleCORE's proposed tipping plan have commented that the group would be better served by negotiating better hourly rates, commission plans, or other more equitable solutions. Some have also questioned the decision to request tips in a manner similar to the service industry, an industry where hourly rates can be as low as $2.13/hour rather than the $22/hr (or more based on locality) currently paid to Apple employees. These same detractors also pointed out that the tipping system could simply serve as a deterrent to customers by pushing them into online purchases in order to avoid any additional costs.

The proposed tip distribution method has also been called into question. Based on the pooling approach outlined in AppleCORE's proposed package, the distribution plan would reward all employees from the tip pool based on the number of scheduled hours worked rather than the level of service provided during those hours. In short, two employees working an equal number of hours would be tipped the same amount regardless of the quality of service provided.

According to AppleCORE's official Twitter feed, the union's recently proposed changes for bargaining unit employees also includes requests ranging from establishing standard 401k benefits to expanding the types and amounts of available paid and unpaid leave. Some of these proposed requests include:

• Paid leave for jury duty
  • Reimbursement and pay increases for CPR/AED/First Aid training courses and certifications
  • Increased pay for employees providing training to others
  • Two weeks of severance pay per year employed, up to a maximum of 34 weeks
  • Unpaid leaves of absence ranging from 30 days to a maximum of two years
  • 45 days of bereavement leave usable for family, friends, and pets

AppleCORE's representatives have acknowledged that discussions are just beginning, and they expect the proposed values to change during the negotiation process. For now, Apple retail employees and other tech industry workers around the country are watching the situation with a close eye, as the outcome could drive additional unionization and future employment negotiations.

Permalink to story.

The systematic tipping in the US has the same social meaning as bowing in Japan, but because the US is not racially homogeneous, they have to give money to make it more convincing. In Europe, on the other hand, customers usually ask for a discount from the final price, which does not include a tip (they do not usually tip on a percentage basis, only in symbolic amounts).
The company could simply decide to raise prices by 3% and split the extra money, but they have to play with money for reasons of social cohesion. After all, gaming is a method of social alignment.

But it's unfair that only the last person on the production line (who usually has the easiest job) gets a tip for the product.

I see a lot of places that have not been spots to tip (such as a fast food joint) have updated their credit card readers. Upon doing so you now get prompted, after you scan/swipe your card, how much do you want to tip?

5%
10%
15%
20%
Other?
None.

These same scanners or at least software behind them at small kiosks do the same. You're buying something quick, no one has to wait hand and foot on you, but they're asking for a tip.

It's hard enough that prices have gone up so much on everything the past 2 years, but to have all these places now asking for tips from jobs that never asked for them before, hel| no. I happily click on "None" and go on my way.

Get bent, Apple stores, no tip for you!

For me tipping is a scam practice and pure anti worker behaviour. I can't really understand why it is so popular in US and the only idea I have its that business owners simply don't want to pay wages so they pushing this responsibility to the customers. But when I pay in restaurant I'd expect to have all included as a package and not being a part time supervisor and decide on staff performance while paying their wages. It is madness. I don't tip stewardess in a plane, clerks, bus drivers, policemen. Or waiters in European restaurants which have a proper living wages and normal income history.

Tipping should never be expected or asked for. People who want to tip will, those who don't want to, might change their mind next time.

They can take their tipping up their.... seriously, it's the stupidest social construct ever created. It needs to die, NOW. If you want better wages, talk to your superior, it's none of my business, and I don't give a flying f either.

OTOH this sudden demand is surely a great way to achieve universal hatred both from customers and executives. What a bunch of ....

For me tipping is a scam practice and pure anti worker behaviour. I can't really understand why it is so popular in US and the only idea I have its that business owners simply don't want to pay wages so they pushing this responsibility to the customers. But when I pay in restaurant I'd expect to have all included as a package and not being a part time supervisor and decide on staff performance while paying their wages. It is madness. I don't tip stewardess in a plane, clerks, bus drivers, policemen. Or waiters in European restaurants which have a proper living wages and normal income history.

It's a way to minimize the wages the employer has to pay out, that's one thing (and maybe the only thing....?). And I'm not really sure it helps in any form with keeping prices for merchandise low(er)?

I worked at a restaurant for 4 or so years bussing tables during high school. I got to see what the costs where for dishes. Every time a special was setup for the day, a list of ingredients for the dish was hung in the back for staff (mainly waiters) to see what was in the dish. With all the ingredients listed you also saw the cost of each one. You'd get some lobster pasta special that costs about $1.95 for ingredients used per dish, but it would sell for $24.95.
Or alcohol - a fairly inexpensive bottle of wine you could buy at the liquor store down the road for $12, it sold for $50. Or if you got just a single glass it went for $15 a glass.

So, I don't think tipping helped keep the price of goods down, but I don't own a restaurant so I can't say for sure one way or the other. I just know that wait-staff got paid right around minimum wage and everything else they got came from tips....which you had to declare so the IRS knows how much you are making and how much they can steal from you tax you on.

I hear some restaurants these days have stopped asking customers for tips, raised their prices and pay their wait-staff a good hourly wage instead of the minimum wage + tips. Tips are no longer asked for, but they certainly aren't turned away if someone really wants to leave a tip.

If you haven't seen it, check out one of the episodes from the reboot of X-Files. Even robots don't like to get shafted when it comes to tips.

The episode is called "Rm9sbG93ZXJz".

This will be Apple in the near future.

Enough with the tipping already. During the pandemic most people had food delivered because of restrictions and they tipped generously because the person bringing you food was risking their health. I get that, but the pandemic is over and restrictions have been removed for well over a year now, yet nobody wants to go back to the old ways and give up the free money they were getting.

Someone at a restaurant waits on you and brings you food and you tip them, I get that. A delivery guy brings you a pizza and you tip them for doing so, I get that too. But when I order a pizza online for pickup, they still want a tip. Who am I tipping exactly? The computer? There's no delivery guy, so why am I expected to tip? Why does Subway want a tip now? They're basically fast food. Suddenly everyone wants a tip just for doing their job.

Apple employees want a tip now too? Are you kidding me? Apple is the richest company on the planet. How about Tim Cook tip all his employees out of his $200+ million bonus? What about Walmart and Coscto? They're super rich companies too. Do we have to tip them too? Enough already.

If you work at a place where you have to rely on the generosity of strangers then I have a tip for you: GET A BETTER JOB!

Tipping is an American abomination initially caused by US employers paying less than a living wage for a full week's work.

Pay your employees a fair wage for the work they're doing and if necessary increase your prices slightly to compensate for the extra costs, then ban the payment of tips to staff. Customers are currently paying more than your list prices anyway with the unstated but expected Tip tax that's added to the customer's bill.

Tipping also contains an element of bribery in some situations, as in pay a big tip and get the best table. I'm not sure if that behavior is in the best interests of the employer.

I live in South Africa, we have our problems sure, but my goodness I've never had to tip every person I see just because they did their job? Like holy moly. A barista who makes me an excellent coffee? Heck yeah. A restaurant server who treats me well? 100% a person employed to sell me a computer? Nope. Good job though, fight for that raise.

Self-serve kiosks are the future.

Shake shack introduced kiosks. You order your own food, you wait for your food, you pick up your food, you seat yourself (probably after cleaning up from previous guest), you clean up after yourself. The only interaction with an employee is when they hand you the bag of food and they still ask for tips.

I am sorry, but I hate the tipping BS.

When I purchase something, the price is supposed to reflect all the expenses needed on the product provider part, including who is passing that to me.

Tipping is literary passing the buck to the clients.

Hell no.

I think tipping is ok as long as it is not expected. It's supposed to be a gratuity kind of thing because you wanted to and not because you are presented with an option of 5%, 10%, 15%...It's the Union's job to get better pay and benefits for their members.

When I tip at a restaurant and leave, I hand my tip to the waiter/waitress discreetly so I know it's them that I want to tip and no one else.

The idea of tipping Apple staff is beyond the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard in a long time. Maybe I'll donate some cash to Cook's next trip to Tahiti while I'm at it.

Tipping is an American abomination initially caused by US employers paying less than a living wage for a full week's work.

Actually, tipping was introduced as a way to exploit the labor of former slaves. After the slaves were freed most places wouldn't hire them or if they did they would pay them next to nothing. They had to rely on the kindness of strangers to get by. Tipping is just one of many ugly remnants of American slavery.

Self-serve kiosks are the future.
Oh yeah, and how long before they expect a tip there too? As I said before, I order a pizza online so there's no one taking my order except a computer. Then I go pick up the pizza and there's no one delivering anything to me, but when I place my order they still expect a tip!

I think tipping is ok as long as it is not expected. It's supposed to be a gratuity kind of thing because you wanted to and not because you are presented with an option of 5%, 10%, 15%...It's the Union's job to get better pay and benefits for their members.
I'm sorry, but your reasoning only works in theory not in practice. Tipping always feels like an all or nothing custom. Either everyone tips or no one does, because if even just 1 out 10 people tip then the other 9 are made to feel guilty for not tipping either by the staff they're not tipping or their own conscience (from seeing others tip or the tip jar with money in it.)

Apple would only agree with tips for the staff, if they got piece of action, modest 80%.

- why would anyone tip after just paid 1500$ for a phone or 3000$ for a macbook?
- do they expect 5%, 10% or 20% tip?
- what exactly do they expect to be tipped for?
- who will get tips for online purchases?
- if they want tips, they should speak to their employer to get commissions instead - I'm sure apple would happily agreed to give them 1% in exchange of their salary

Back