TechSpot

University builds supercomputer using Raspberry Pi micro PCs

By Shawn Knight
Sep 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A team of scientists at the University of Southampton led by Professor Simon Cox have built a low-cost supercomputer comprised solely of ARM-based Raspberry Pi micro computers. More specifically, the team has combined 64 units to create a parallel computer...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,392   +1,585

I kept waiting for a comparison between this super computer and a general mainstream computer.

KristoZ and tehbanz like this.
  3. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

Me too; what can it do?

4. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

5. Love that, building a supercomputer stacked in lego building blocks...power and whimsy.

6. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 467   +85

Benchmarks?! I mean comon thats all we really want to see.

KristoZ likes this.
  7. kukrek

kukrek TS Rookie

Great for students, team for ArGe and know-how about multi-nod development. And thats all.

About performance?? 64 x Arm11 Cores on par with ehhmm, no need to compare since we will be using Broadcom's Videocore 4 GPU's 24 Gflop general purpose computing power.

So under a %99 parallelized problem system will result 64 x 24 Gflop = 820 Gflop of computing power at best.

You can easily beat it with an i5 +7970 + OpenCL. Which will probably cost less and consume less power too.

Again, its great for team and educational purposes, main topic here is not about great efficieny. Everyone on team should have learnt much about distributed systems from node-building to managing them.

TJGeezer likes this.
  8. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 567   +13

A super computer is lots of other computers all linked in to spread the work load over more room therefore making it faster, think daisy chaining

9. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

I'm loving those racks.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,392   +1,585

That wasn't my question, I understand that. My question was about performance of the combined processing power of the 64 micro PC's compared to a standard off the shelf PC.

11. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

@kukrek, sounds like you were on the team. Fine answer to cliffordcooley's question. And it sounds like a terrific lab project for an intro or second course in parallel computing. At the end, issue grades or however you do it there, disassemble, throw all the Legos into one box, store the Raspberry Pi boards in another, and let the next class have at it. Great project!

I can see the future now. Every U in the world picking up on this, buying boards and Legos for their own projects, driving Lego stock through the roof... note to self - call broker...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.