Unknown Device In Device Manager After Installing Radeon HD 4890

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi everybody.

I just bought myself a Powercolor Radeon HD 4890 yesterday. After installing the card and the required drivers everything works like a charm. However, every time I start up my PC I get a message saying that a new device has been found on my system. On checking Device Manager I found an "Unknown device" entry under "Other devices".

I'm attaching a screenshot of Device Manager.

Are there any drivers I'm missing? It only happened after removing my old card (after uninstalling all its drivers) and installing the Radeon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Device.JPG
    Device.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 16
I have a Powercolor Radeon HD 4890 (I also have a Gigabyte 4890 and XFX 4890 in two other PCs). I think you need to install the latest ATI Catalyst Suite. You may have installed the driver only package. Anyway, I think it has to do with the HDMI capabilities of the card. High def sound is built into the card (the HD part of the card name) and the HD sound driver is part of the Catalyst Suite. When you use an HDMI cable to an appropriate display, HD sound is also transmitted through the same cable from the Radeon graphics card.

Of course, be sure to install .NET Framework 2.0 as it is required before you can install the full Catalyst Suite. The HD sound driver won't install without it. At least I had trouble before I installed .NET 3.5. I went to Windows Update and installed .NET Framework 3.5. 2.0 is included in that update and 2.0 wasn't available separately.

I installed Catalyst 9.12 Suite after putting in the card, not just the "driver only" package.

Yes I do. Just wondering, do the HDMI Audio Drivers constitute a part of the Catalyst Suite? And what are WDM drivers and AVIVO Package?

In the ATI website it isn't mentioned as part of the Catalyst Suite but is available as a separate package. So should I download the HDMI drivers? I think the WDM is part of the Catalyst Suite...

Let's see if this might help identify what it is
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Next, look at Device Manager under System Devices. Do you see Microsost UAA Bus Driver listed?

Nothing appears under Problem Devices.

Device Manager lists Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio under System devices.

Hmmm.. that's very not what i expected.

Is the "Other" device still appearing in device Manager? If yes, click the device Properties Detail tab. What is the Device ID?

Here's what it says: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1001\5&247039B3&0&0001

I'm attaching a screenshot.

Attachments

• Device.JPG
    Device.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 6
Yep. No surprise it's a Hi Def Audio device (note the device ID enumerator = HDAUDIO)

Find MS UAA Bus driver again under System Devices. Rt click and uninstall it. Then in Device Mgr click Action->Scan for Hardware Changes

Windows should reinstall the UAA Bus driver (and if lucky let's see if the other device is also installed). If not, will have to look further

In the ATI website it isn't mentioned as part of the Catalyst Suite but is available as a separate package. So should I download the HDMI drivers? I think the WDM is part of the Catalyst Suite...
You shouldn't have to download them separately. It should be included. In my case I just installed the full Catalyst Suite and the HD driver issue went away.

BTW, this issue was the same for three different PCs I have with a Radeon 4890 installed and solved in the same way.

Here's some more info i (hope) may be useful

1) I found the device ID you indicated is for an HDMI device
2) I downloaded and looked at the install package for ATI Catalyst 9.12 Suite for XP
> Best as i could tell, this suite does not include HDMI drivers
3) I also downloaded and looked at ATI Catalyst™ 9.12 HDMI Audio Driver for Windows XP
> The ATI HDMI Audio Driver package listed includes your device ID

Try that download file for ATI HDMI (note you only need the HDMI driver, you don't need the MS UAA driver they also list)

Thanks a lot for your time LookinAround. I downloaded and installed the drivers that you linked me to (HDMI Audio Driver for XP). However, it did not solve the problem.

Finally I uninstalled all ATI drivers and installed the drivers provided in the disc that came with my graphics card. That has solved the issue. After installing all my drivers from the CD I downloaded and installed the Catalyst Suite again. Is that OK? Does it mean I have installed my drivers twice over? Everything has been working perfectly so far.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas!

Awfully sorry, but the problem still persists. Now I don't get the "New Hardware Detected" message when Windows starts, but there is an Unknown device under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager.

I'm attaching a screenshot. I have the Microsoft UAA High Definition Audio Package KB888111 installed on my system. Installing the ATI HDMI drivers does not solve the issue.

Please help.

1) Try this again: uninstalling the MS UAA Bus Driver then reboot. See if Windows then installs MS UAA plus the other device

2) If problem persists, what's the device ID of unknown device (click the details tab again). Is it same as the last time or now something else?

:confused:

Hmmm... I looked again at the driver install file included in the HDMI driver i pointed you to earlier. Note the last device ID in the install file list is yours
Code:
[ATI.NTx86.5.1]
%HdAudioDeviceDescription% = HdAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_793C&SUBSYS_00793C00&REV_1000
%HdAudioDeviceDescription% = HdAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_791A&SUBSYS_00791A00&REV_1000
%HdAudioDeviceDescription% = HdAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1000
%HdAudioDeviceDescription% = HdAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1001

What happened when you tried installing it before? Anything? Any error messages or other?
> It should have unpacked its files into directory C:\ATI\Support\9-12_xp32-64_hdmiaudio
> Is that directory still on your hard drive?

Its funny but it seems that the HDMI driver package does not have any HDMI drivers in it. When I select Custom Installation only Catalyst Control Centre and the Display Driver are listed as being already up to date on the system.

The directory C:\ATI\Support\9-12_xp32-64_hdmiaudio is present. I located a file titled AtiHDAud.msi in the directory and installed it. No effect. There are no error messages.

Did you reboot yet? I would think running the .msi loads the drivers on your computer. You'd probably need a reboot before they're then detected and installed.

You could also try manually installing the AtiHdAud driver file yourself if only to see what occurs... tho i would think it should have loaded on its own using above approaches.. but if you want to try one more thing
> Rt click the Unknown device, select Update Driver
> Click No, not this time
> Click Install from list or specific location
> Click Don't search
> Click Have Disk
> Browse to open C:\ATI\Support\9-12_xp32-64_hdmiaudio\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMI\XP\AtiHDAud.inf
> Click OK then install it

/* Edit */
Oh. and be sure to try the "uninstall MS UAA driver then reboot" thing too

Hi LookinAround. Sorry for the late reply.

The error seems to have finally been fixed. Before reading your last post I did the same Update Driver but allowed the system to search the disc that came with my card. The device has been installed now. No further errors show up.

Should I update the driver again from C:\ATI\Support\9-12_xp32-64_hdmiaudio\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMI\XP\AtiHDAud.inf. I had uninstalled all ATI drivers on the system and then re-installed them. So I don't have the \9-12_xp32-64_hdmiaudio\ folder any longer. Should I install the HDMI package again?

Thanks a lot for your help.

:grinthumb Running Driver Update to search through the CD was a great idea!

If everything seems to be working now, i'm inclined to leave the current driver installs alone for now as well (as long as they appear to work for you)

Though out of curiosity, if your rt click the device Properties then
> Click Driver tab. What was the driver's version number and driver date indicated?
> And click Details tab just to assure you're looking at the same device ID as was giving the problem before HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1001

/* edit */
You're running 32bit XP, right? just fyi... the driver info I find in the ATI HDMI driver download
Code:
[Version]
Class=MEDIA
ClassGuid={4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider=ATI
DriverVer=[B]11/16/2009,5.18.0.5500[/B]

Well, it looks like the HDMI driver found on your CD is v5.00.50000.15

fyi... Looks like this is the HDMI driver version that came with Catalyst releases v9.5, 9.6 and 9.7 (based on data found here)

I don't understand why the latest CCC release didn't seem to work for you (which includes HDMI driver release v5.18.0.5500)... so i'd say you're best to stick to what you have as long as it seems to be working for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back