Unknown Devices in a Toshiba Protege

By Klytus
Jul 22, 2008
  1. We just got a Toshiba Protege R500-S5006X at work. There were no system disks in the box, and I've already blown-away the entire hard-drive to install one of our images on it. I've done a fresh install of Windows XP Professional with SP3 and have downloaded and installed every driver I can find on the Toshiba website (audio, bluetooth, lan, storage matrix, video, wifi, modem, chipset and the touchpad). Yet after all that, I *still* have two "Unknown Devices" in the Device Manager, and I'm damned if I can figure out what they are supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

All devices in the comp are identified in the registry:

I'll be back with the location.

HK Local Machine, System, Current Control Set, Enum , PCI.
  3. lamo

lamo TS Rookie

klytus, try to use the everest software, this toll will help you to identify your hardware.
  4. terminator911

terminator911 TS Rookie

Most of the time these are are something like a card reader.. ie: Texas Instruments.

You could also try using the Unknown Device Identifier freeware tool; it'll show you every component on that laptop so you can figure out which drivers is missing:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.