Unknown Devices Listed in Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I am having a slight issue with my new setup, appears to be driver-side. Every time I restart my computer a window pops up stating that a driver could not be installed for "IDE channel." This box appears six times in which I have to close out. There are six of these "IDE channel" devices listed (under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers) in the Device Manager w/ the little (!) next to them. When I go to install a driver for each of the devices I get "driver is not intended for this platform" or something like that. I don't know what I should do because I'm really not sure what I am looking at exactly. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've installed all the drivers for my motherboard, graphics cards, and sound card ...all of which work fine. In the Device Manager, I am also seeing two "PCI device" and a single "Unknown" device. The only PCI card I have installed is the Sound Blaster and I installed the drivers for that; it works fine. No idea what the "Unknown" is...

New System Specs

ASUS P5N-E SLi mobo
Intel Core 2 Q6600 (2.4Ghz)
OCZ PC6400 DDR2 SLi RAM (4GB)
XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB (x2)
IDE Western Digital HDDs (x2)
SATA Western Digital HDD (not configured yet)

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Doesn't really apply to my problem other than explaining a solution to a related problem, but thanks anyways.

I think there might be some arbitrary setting(s) in the BIOS that tie into why the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers are showing up in DM. Everything in the system works fine so I'm thinking of uninstalling the devices. I still don't know what the 3 devices under unknown are... possibly remaining hardware profiles from my previous build that XP cannot detect any longer?

Well, considering they used all the same error wordings it looked worth a try.

gl

Alright, I think I finally resolved the whole IDE channel thing, got the drivers to install. I also got one of the PCI devices and that one "Unknown" device to register as well by using the driver disk that came with my mobo. I guess the two devices had something to do with the onboard sound.

Anyways, I still have one lowly PCI device that I cannot identify. This is the only information I have on it so far:

PCI Slot 7 (PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0) - code 28 (no driver)

Is there any way I can identify this device without having to try all kinds of drivers? I heard that Everest could do something like that...

The only other thing I can think of might be to make sure that 'Plug and Play OS' in Bios is told 'Yes' to make the OS assign IRQ's.

Right click My Computer and choose Properties from the context menu. Click the hardware tab and the Device Manager button. Expand the unknown device and then right click the device and choose Properties in the context menu. Click the details tab and do a Google search on the items Device Instance ID number. That should tell you what the device is and then you'll be able to find the driver.

Think i may have found out what it is, ran PCI32 and found this:

Bus 3 (PCI Express), Device Number 0, Device Function 0
Vendor 197Bh JMicron Technology Corp
Device 2360h JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller

Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0010h (Has Capabilities List, Fast Timing)
Revision 02h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency Timer 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Storage, type Serial ATA (AHCI 1.0)
Subsystem ID 82081043h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 1043h ASUSTeK Computer Inc

Address 0 is an I/O Port : 0000BC00h
Address 1 is an I/O Port : 0000B800h
Address 2 is an I/O Port : 0000B400h
Address 3 is an I/O Port : 0000B000h
Address 4 is an I/O Port : 0000AC00h
Address 5 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : FDDFE000h
System IRQ 11, INT# A
New Capabilities List Present:
Power Management Capability, Version 1.1
Does not support low power State D1 or D2
Supports PME# signalling from mode(s) D3hot
PME# signalling is currently disabled
Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)
PCI Express Capability, Version 1
Device/Port Type :
Legacy PCI Express Endpoint Device
Device Capabilities :
Device Control :
Unsupported Request Severity is Non-Fatal
Device Status :
Unsupported Request Detected
Link Capabilities :
Maximum Link Speed : 2.5Gb/s
Maximum Link Width : x1
Link Port Number : 1
Link Control :
Asynchronous Clocking in Use
Link Status :
Current Link Speed : 2.5Gb/s
Current Link Width : x1

I think there is a JMicron driver on the mobo disk so I'll try installing that I guess. Thanks for the help!

[UPDATE] That did it, all fixed! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back