Unknown Ethernet Driver - Compaq HP (model unknown) Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me folks, I'm on borrowed time today.

I had to reformat my computer thanks to a handful of Trojans and of course, I am missing the Ethernet driver to connect. In the past, I had a friend set me up, but he never told me how to do it and he's gone in basic training so I can't ask for his help today.

I have a custom-built Compaq HP
I will have Windows XP HOME installed when I get the cash.

What I need is help figuring out where to look to find the model number to install the correct driver. I have tried the HP website and it does not work; My driver is built into the motherboard.

I currently have Windows XP Professional for English Students, it's my father's OS

"I have a custom-built Compaq HP"...

Custom built by HP or a friend? See if you can tell us the model of the motherboard. Give us any name or numbers you find

"I have a custom-built Compaq HP"...

Custom built by HP or a friend? See if you can tell us the model of the motherboard. Give us any name or numbers you find

Wow, a reply.

Thank you so much. :) :)

First, it is a custom HP built by a friend.

I find this number beneath a green strip of plastic; nearest to my CDROM drive:
P82C4OG9URJ459

And then this is on a small; yellow sticker a few inches or so away:
759 REV OG 534

Both of these stickers are found directly on the motherboard.

No... No names like ASUS.

Someone told me to go to RUN > and type winms and I recall the driver maybe being called ras async. But all the downloads all link back to the Microsoft update page, how can I update if I don't have internet??

I don't need a sound driver, I can find that myself. I'm just wanting to connect to the internet so i CAN find my other missing drivers.

Ah yes the AC97 is an old sound driver... Realtek makes ethernet drivers for newer motherboards, Intel 10/100 ethernet may be worth searching. You can always install a PCI NIC card

We have to know the motherboards model before we can help you with this. So far the info you gave doesn't help

If it is "branded" Compaq HP machine look for a model number somewhere on the case. Then just simply do s a search on google or hp.com. What to you mean by "custom built"?

"What to you mean by "custom built"?...

I'm confused by this too. Some of the old Compaq's had an Intel based motherboard with the Intel 10\100 ethernet port. It would be hard to tell saccage how to look for the chipset so I didn't bother here. The option to install a PCI NIC would be his easiest option at this point. I just "gutted" or refurbished an old (2002) ASUS 478 motherboard HP. I replaced the power supply, CDROM and motherboard. I used the old Intel Celeron 533MHz socket 478 CPU. Newegg had 1 Biostar socket 478 motherboard in their inventory. This is what I call "Custom"... I charged the customer $175. He was very pleased with his "new" computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back