Unknown Folders on my C drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a number of folders in my C drive which have just appeared and are named with a combination of letter and numbers, eg. er445t45tyu76ijh89ki7i5th7

They contain a file which ends with enu.log and opens up as a text file.

Do you know what these are, and if it's ok to delete them?

I've been advised that they may be failed Windows updates

Any help would be great

Thanks for that.

I now have another question, however......

I have automatic updates for Windows enabled which shows the icon in the bottom right hand corner when automatic updates are available. I click on this icon and it prompts to install an update called KB927978.

It goes through the process of the update and says it has been successful.

However, a couple of seconds later one of the afore mentioned folders appears on my C drive, and the automatic updates icon appears at the bottom right of the screen again.

When I click on the icon it prompts me to install the same update. Restarting my machine after installing the update makes no difference.

Any ideas as to what is going on and why I keep getting prompted to install the same update time after time?

Once again any help at all would be great

Here is the KB Artice:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

I wouldn't worry about the update. Next time the yellow shield comes up in the try, click on it. When the update windows comes up, goto Custom Update, and then UNCHECK that specific update, then click continue.
It will ask you if you want to hide this update, check the box to ignore this specific update.
Then you'll be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back