Unknown user agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascot54

Not sure if this is in the right forum, so apols if it is..!!

Just recently updated to IE8 and i'm getting the error

"unknown user agent"

but only on 1 known web site...!!

google search doesn't really give any clues...

anyone else experiencing similar error at all.??

Rgds

Paul

Hi Paul

Do this and reboot.

As Malware is usually the cause of this I would also do an updated MBAM and SAS scan after this!

Update then run SAS
Click Preferences-Repairs
Then counting down from top do the following entries

Numbers 6, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15,18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26 and 27!

Reboot test for issue and now do SAS and MBAM attach logs. Be sure to update.

Mike

Hi Mike,

have done as you suggested, however, i still have the error "unknown user agent"

Both MAM & SAS ran clean after reboot...
logs attached...
any clues...

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

Get me a HJT log.

Mike

EDIT: Does this occur with FF or Opera?

Run IE without addons.
Copy (don't change your original shortcut) an Internet explorer SHORTCUT name it IE no addons, then go into properties and add a space then -extoff to the end of the Target line.

Should look like this. "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

This will run IE with all addons turned off. If no problem here then it is an addon that is the issue.

Mike,

tried the "new" ie8 shrotcut....

fault is still there eg "unknown user agent"

i dont know what FF is...have heard of opera.. but dont use it !!

Did you read the links on my last post edit?

FireFox and Opera, better and faster and somewhat more secure and still compatible browsers.

I like the portable versions that work directly from their own folders use no installer no registry entries, their folders can be copied anywhere like a USB Flash drive and will run from there with all your Favorites/Bookmarks.

Try them if you don't like them just delete their folder.
Portable FF http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Portable Opera http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

I keep them both actually run FF portable mostly. When something don't work in IE for sure it almost always does in FF or Opera.

Mike

Mike,

i have read both links...
odd thing on 2nd post...

ie seems to ID itself as Mozilla....i have Mozilla installed and get on the problem web page ok...

totally stumped by this one now...

Paul

Mozilla is the engine.

It is an IE8 issue I will look deeper into it.

But you need to remember this is not the final IE8 it is still a release candidate just a step up from a beta!

I suggest you try the Portables. I would not be without them! FF is much faster.

And when I have an issue with IE I do the same in FF and Opera if they also have the same issue it is 99.9% of the time the Site.

But additionally when I want something and one don't work I can open the other and get the job done.

I would like to see if FF and Opera have this issue like I said delete them when thu if you don't want to keep them.

Mike

Mike,

will give em a go tomorrow, been racking the grey matter on this so i'm ready for my bed...
thanks for help so far...

rgds
Paul

Mike,
still got same error on web page..

totally stumped ..!!

FF runs it ok but i cant post to the website !!

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back