Unkown Address blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

=met=Badger

My ISP's network has been loaded with viruses and I suffer for other peoples ignorance. But alas I am not all knowing so I ask for help from everyone here.

My firewall has been blocking intrusions from somewhere to lsass.exe. Ive logged them and the address is 0x77E74A8F. this isnt a MAC or IP. its more like Code. and I know nothing about code.

Ive been getting spammed approx every 4 hrs since i reformatted my windows drive.

Your computer may be infected with viruses/malware etc.

Go HERE and follow the instructions, in the order they are given.

Post a fresh HJT log, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

No I know wat i am doing when it comes to keepin my pc relatively clean. and I do not have a virus or spyware. Ive looked at My HJT log and theres nothin that shouldnt be there.

No it doesnt explain anything new. just that he has the similar problem. BUT MY PROBLEM isnt lsass.exe. IT IS NOT on my pc or effecting my pc, BUT it is my ISP's problem and it reduces network BW which is my problem. Because anyone w/ half a brain will goole anything supicious and in this case i found this:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/lsass/
but I would like to KNOW what This is
Ive logged them and the address is 0x77E74A8F.
Just info on the address. I think this is code because ive gotten a few buffer overflows.

=met=Badger said:
ive gotten a few buffer overflows.
Perhaps you could give us a few more details about those ? Did they reference any application ? Make sure Windows and all your apps are fully updated.You`ve probably done that already,but it has to be said.Quicktime and OE have had overflow issues in the past.

no it doesnt referance anything other than lsass.exe . what im thinkin it may be, after ive done a little research, is that the address failure is on my pc within the program lsass and the errors and buffer overflow that is being logged by my firewall is a result of an external atempt to access my pc. although my firewall is not logging ips for the blocked intrusions.

1.Does anyone know exactly What lsass (Local Security Authentication Server), in windowsxp, really does besides auth for winlogon?

2.If there is anyway to remove it by removing any winlogon services?

my understanding of winlogon is that it is mainly used with Remote assistance or remote desktop. alloowing other users to access your windows via a network. It's a part of the Windows Login subsystem. Winlogon is necessary for user authorization and checks the Windows XP activation code.

3. Does windows force you to use winlogon when accessing the internet?

I know these are extremely technical question and help answering them would be appreciated.im gonna post thes same 4 Q's in the Windows forum on this site aswell.

I have found out that you can disable lsass. so HAZZAR!

This information is provided in the Black Viper Tweaks for windows XP.
*****CAUTION*****
Black viper tweaks are designed and tested by black viper himself and i think there is a disclaimer stating " any damage you cause is your fault" but you can always reinstall windows. and if your not prepared to back-up your info first.
*****CAUTION*****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back