Unlock Phenom II x2 550BE on Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H?

By Jawshh
Nov 8, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I have been looking forward to purchasing a 4-core cpu to replace my phenom II X2 550 that i've had for like 2 years lately but I decided to try to unlock it and maybe I could save some bucks. My CPU-Z screen is in the attachments.

Basically, I have a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-US2H revision 1.1 mobo with F11 bios. My cpu is Phenom II X2 550 Black edition codenamed Callisto. According to wikipedia, Callisto archs have 2 cores locked, so, unlockable maybe!?

So, I changed ACC to auto and EC firmware to Hybrid, saved settings and rebooted. Surprisingly, the machine booted fine! However, when I check on CPU-Z, nothing's changed! It's still Phenom II X2 with 2 cores and 2 threads! I checked in msconfig as well and there are only 2 cores!

Can't say that the machine is really stable though! It IS stable, but not like when ACC is disabled!

Because the machine booted fine, I assume that the dormant cores aren't really faulty right? Or, are they?

Is there something more I need to do to have those cores unlocked?

Attached Files:

2. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +119

Sounds like you did everything right..... strange..

Have you tried setting acc to all cores?
  3. Jawshh

Jawshh TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 438

Did that alright but I gave up on that after a couple of tries. I'm replacing the CPU with a Phenom II X6.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.