Unmountable boot volume

By sripalkumar
Jun 7, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I have a laptop (sony vaio) which crashed yday. I have been getting the message "unmountable boot volume" and I cannot even log into safe mode. Is there any way to fix this without losing data. The laptop doesnt come w an install CD since it is the OEM kinds and the online support person asked me to do a system restore (which would wipe away all data).

Then I went in and bought a rocketfish hard drive enclosure kit (2.5''). I removed the internal hard drive (IDE) and plugged it into the rockertfish and onto my desktop (compaq presario). I see a new drive (drive F:) but when I click it I cant seem to open anything at all ...even when I right click I see no functions at all. The hard drive enclosure kit comes with a USB cable w a dual head which serves for soem back up power. Any suggestions as to how to trouble shoot this.
    thanks,
  2. sripalkumar

sripalkumar Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Update: I used the paragon software which this website recommends. Looks like its working. It is transferring files to my external hard drive. Few more hours to go for the transfer. Hope I did not speak too soon!!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.