Unreal Engine 5 game "Unrecord" demos stunningly realistic bodycam graphics

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: As players wait for the first Unreal Engine 5 games to hit the market, a series of impressive demos have offered tantalizing previews of its potential over the last couple of years. The latest one making the rounds looks like it could become one of the most convincingly realistic-looking first-person shooters to date, likely in large part to some clever tricks.

When footage of the upcoming tactical FPS "Unrecord" went viral, many assumed it looked too good to be a real game demo. The developer quickly dispelled the claims with a short clip containing more free-form gameplay and free-cam footage, erasing any doubt of the project's veracity.

According to the promo pitch, Unrecord is a story-based single-player narrative game with tactical combat elements. The brief trailer is made to resemble bodycam footage from a police officer raiding a dilapidated building. What ensues looks like tactical FPS gameplay where the player carefully searches rooms, peeks around corners and shoots gang members. The footage also reveals dialogue options and a realistic ammo system requiring players to check their remaining bullets by pulling out and examining the clip. The developer released footage last October displaying more basic FPS mechanics.

The lighting and textures look top-quality, but the demo's unnervingly realistic presentation probably comes from a few elements that hide flaws that typically give away video games.

The shaky cam stops viewers from focusing too closely on individual components of the image to notice telltale blemishes like texture artifacts. In 2021, a clip from the motorbike simulator Ride 4 wowed audiences with this trick using a camera mode only available in replays. The viability of Unrecord's shaky cam for real gameplay remains to be seen.

Furthermore, the body cam aspect ratio might be tricking viewers' brains into accepting the demo's illusion. Most first-person games try to mimic the perception of the human eye, which is impossible to do perfectly. Replicating something as flawed yet recognizable as bodycam footage, however, is likely more attainable for video games. The excellent animation in the enemies and the player character's hands also contributes to the convincing look.

Another important element on display is photogrammetry – a technique that generates textures from photos of real objects. Resident Evil 7 combined photogrammetry with a less-shaky body cam to deliver similarly realistic graphics on the last-generation consoles at 60 frames per second.

The Unrecord footage also drew controversy for its eerie similarity to police bodycam footage that has often appeared on the news lately. The developer, anticipating the reaction, posted an FAQ addressing questions on the game's stance regarding the police in light of recent high-profile cases of police violence. It reads similarly to the "our game isn't political" statements we sometimes get from big publishers like Ubisoft, while also acknowledging that some players will feel uneasy about Unrecord's content.

Unrecord is too early in development to discuss a release date or even platform availability. However, the game already has a Steam page. You can download the high-bitrate trailer (without YouTube compression) and screenshots at the developer's Google Drive.

Permalink to story.

Been waiting on Unreal Engine 5 games for a while now. Got myself a 13700kf, RTX 3800, 32gb RAM, 2tb 980Pro NVME 4.0... let's see what developers can do w/ this hardware already!

Been waiting on Unreal Engine 5 games for a while now. Got myself a 13700kf, RTX 3800, 32gb RAM, 2tb 980Pro NVME 4.0... let's see what developers can do w/ this hardware already!
bro thats recomended hardware for the next gen game

Amazing how far games have come in my lifetime, from Adventure and Pong to this. Gets to a point where it's almost too realistic and becomes slightly disturbing. Racing games - the more realistic the better - but first person shooters and horror games, I'm ok with slightly cartoony!

You missed one word, minimum xD
Yep
immortals of Aveum game launching soon

Recommended system requirements:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system.
Processor: Intel Core i7-12700 / AMD Ryzen 7 5700X.
Memory: 16(Dual-channel) GB RAM.
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti (VRAM 12 GB) / AMD Radeon 6800XT (VRAM 16 GB)
DirectX: Version 12.

this is 1440p 60 fps target fyi.

The guy who made it has confirmed he used RT lumen in UE5 for this demo. It looks so realistic.

Pretty impressive - haven't played a fps for donkey years.
Kind of need more realistic human communication from enemy - call outs , or last or injured speeches etc
The enemy NCO barking instructions - even in foreign language would be Ok

I got almost everything like this PC, haha.
Must be a popular choice for many.

Well....

I've been gaming since King's Quest... and that trailer (if 100% true game play footage) may be one of the greatest leaps in immersion I have felt. Doom/Unreal/etc's first person gave you freedom to actually run around in a 3D world & a new perspective instead of isometric/top down, etc..

But this Game (using Unreal engine) takes the visuals & movement/motion to a whole new level...

It's jaw dropping on an Ultrawide...

I opened windows (not Windows, just windows) and looked outside. Real engine still beats Unreal engine.

But yeah, this is truly impressive. The only badly designed part is at the very start, at 00:02, before he enters the facility. Press pause and take a look at that grass. Not looking real at all. I've seen better grass in some games, let alone movie CGI, let alone reality.

Other than that, it's amazing. I like the GoPro lens effect. And camera shake. Fantastic.

In fact, they beat most of top movie CGI in one segment: Physics. Hollywood VFX experts usually make perfect graphics, but then fail on physics, making the movement of objects (e.g. cars) totally unconvincing. But Unreal engine calculated the physics correctly.

Guess I don't see the big deal; still looks like graphics, not real life. We had real life with 90s FMV. You want to see something way more stunning watch colorized WW2 footage remastered @60FPS; looks like was shot with a 1980s/90s camcorder. This demo still just looks like graphics; and to me less beautiful than many games due to the artistry factor in games (like photos vs paintings).

If you pay attention, enemies (almost) don't seem to cast shadows. Possibly a (very) light ambient occlusion. The lighting (baked ?) and textures (with RT) of the scene combined with a realistic bodycam and strong motion blur in fast action are mainly responsible for the realism. Geometry is not high res.

Last edited:
If you pay attention, enemies (almost) don't seem to cast shadows. Possibly a (very) light ambient occlusion. The lighting (baked ?) and textures (with RT) of the scene combined with a realistic bodycam and strong motion blur in fast action are mainly responsible for the realism. Geometry is not high res.
Yeah - I'm sure you would have done a much better job.

It's realistic but it seems odd to me that, when you're only limited by your own imagination, the world you create is shooting people in a semi demolished garage.

Plot twist. He really shot all those people, the video has leaked and now he's pretending it's just CGI.

But yeah, this is truly impressive. The only badly designed part is at the very start, at 00:02, before he enters the facility. Press pause and take a look at that grass. Not looking real at all. I've seen better grass in some games, let alone movie CGI, let alone reality.

Other than that, it's amazing. I like the GoPro lens effect. And camera shake. Fantastic.

In fact, they beat most of top movie CGI in one segment: Physics. Hollywood VFX experts usually make perfect graphics, but then fail on physics, making the movement of objects (e.g. cars) totally unconvincing. But Unreal engine calculated the physics correctly.

Well, in-game, it will look 5X better than a compressed video. If you download the higher resolution version of the video and watch it on a 34" widescreen or 38" wide... that Demo really pops.

This video is meant to be seen on your gaming rig... You can not get the realistic effect watching it on a phone...

FWIW, in real life your periphery doesn't even distinguish blades of grass in motion... your visual focus is elsewhere.

Well, in-game, it will look 5X better than a compressed video. If you download the higher resolution version of the video and watch it on a 34" widescreen or 38" wide... that Demo really pops.

This video is meant to be seen on your gaming rig... You can not get the realistic effect watching it on a phone...

FWIW, in real life your periphery doesn't even distinguish blades of grass in motion... your visual focus is elsewhere.

I didn't watch it on a phone but on a big monitor. And it's not due to compression artifacts, they just screwed up that part a bit. Probably didn't think it would be very important, but since it's in the intro part, while there's no other action, it attracts attention. At least mine, because I'm involved in CGI in one way or another for the past 30 years. But the rest is excellent and it demonstrates not only the capabilities of UE-5 but also the effort to prepare all those textures, with all kinds of hi-res maps that feed the shaders and contribute to realism.

Things don't look this good just by running UE-5. In fact, one could get similar results in Unity, but again, using textures that contain multiple images/maps for each shader input separately. For example, here's an asset for Unity engine that doesn't suck in rendering nature in real time:

Things don't look this good just by running UE-5. In fact, one could get similar results in Unity, but again, using textures that contain multiple images/maps for each shader input separately. For example, here's an asset for Unity engine that doesn't suck in rendering nature in real time
While that certainly looks very pretty, it's not perfect (are any graphics?):

Forest Environment - Dynamic Nature 2-1 screenshot.jpg

Lumen in UE5 makes this issue far easier to resolve:

Back