'Unreal Tournament' return imminent, says Epic Games

Shawn Knight

Staff member

unreal tournament epic games

Unreal Tournament fans, listen up! Epic Games over the weekend took to Twitter to announce the franchise will take the first step in its return later this week. That’s in stark contrast to comments made by Epic founder Tim Sweeney back in March during GDC but as Forbes points out, perhaps he was simply trying to keep the project a secret until now?

Epic’s VP of product development, Paul Meegan, suggested those interested in the future of Unreal Tournament should tune in to the UnrealEngine channel on Twitch this coming Thursday (May 8) at 2 p.m. ET. The sentiments were echoed by Epic co-founder Mark Rein while marketing manager Dana Cowley posted a link to a YouTube sound clip of the phrase “first blood.”

A new entry in the Unreal Tournament franchise is something fans of the series have been calling on for years and could serve as the perfect platform to showcase the Unreal Engine 4. The series got its start back in 1999 and while two other games followed, the last release, Unreal Tournament 3, launched in 2007.

The most recent game has stood up against the test of time and looks remarkably good compared to some newer titles. That’s impressive when you consider it’s nearly seven years old at this point.

It’s still too early to know which systems the game might arrive on but odds are, the PC and next generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony are probably a lock.

Permalink to story.

Man I loved playing UT1999, probably the best FPS to date. I also liked UT2004, others are good but not as good as these two. Unreal Tournament 3 was nice but it didn't have that "feel" and psyhics original did.

I played so much UT2004 and I still go back to it every so often to this day.

I did start to warm to UT3 once they brought out that massive "black edition" patch but it lost a bit of soul in that game.

I hope this is a return to form, man that would be amazing!

I smell the Oculus support is coming for this title, big time...

...perhaps with BFG renamed into FBG, but who cares...

Oh man, so many fun times getting stress-relief on UT3 with the sound blasted. :')

ROCKET MASTERRR.

Unreal Tournament was fine, but I really reminisce over the actual story based game Unreal. I remember the first time I got an Open GL graphics accelerator card and was in awe of the mirrored floors and particles that streamed from the lights.

I smell the Oculus support is coming for this title, big time...

Oh yes, this sounds awesome.

Unreal Tournament was fine, but I really reminisce over the actual story based game Unreal. I remember the first time I got an Open GL graphics accelerator card and was in awe of the mirrored floors and particles that streamed from the lights.

You will never have this experience again. I remember watching the tower flyby on my ATI Rage II+ DVD and later on a Matrox m3D. I don't think the game itself was that amazing, it was just impressive eye candy for the time. We're jaded enough about graphics now that I think few people would be so terribly impressed as gamers were in the early days of 3D.

Man I loved playing UT1999, probably the best FPS to date. I also liked UT2004, others are good but not as good as these two. Unreal Tournament 3 was nice but it didn't have that "feel" and psyhics original did.

nothing BEATS UT the very first one the one right after UNREAL/UNREAL 2
user created content
fast paced
not to bad of graphics but also not so much **** it was a distraction
all about competition and "ART" I played some of the most craziest maps
from that game back then
most game's copy the ideas that people pioneered

Ah yes.. the classic Facing Worlds, which pretty much stood the test of each release. 2K4 was IMO the best of all games, fast action but also more variety. UT3 basically was a more modern appearance, but it was lacking so much 2K4 had. Went from fast fun to just, general run and gun kind of speed. Which just killed the enjoyment a bit to me at least.

UT was a great series and it continued expanding, but I felt UT3 was more a step backwards to the original. Just with a more modern polish to it really, which while it's kinda nice didn't really do it for an enjoyment feel. Go back to 2K4 any time and really, it's a night and day difference in speed.

I personally would like to see a return of the actual "tournament" single player (ut2004 etc) alongside a campaign like the one in ut3.

People didn't stop playing quake or unreal due to graphics. They stopped because it wasn't as fun as realistic FPS.

You will never have this experience again. I remember watching the tower flyby on my ATI Rage II+ DVD and later on a Matrox m3D. I don't think the game itself was that amazing, it was just impressive eye candy for the time. We're jaded enough about graphics now that I think few people would be so terribly impressed as gamers were in the early days of 3D.

That is a sad truth ET3D, about how we've become jaded about graphics. With all the great lighting effects, physics effects, and high resolution texture mapping, about the only thing that I could imagine wanting from a game tomorrow might be real clothing technology so that things look less like painted plastic action figures and better collision detection so that models stop falling through walls.

People didn't stop playing quake or unreal due to graphics. They stopped because it wasn't as fun as realistic FPS.

Realistic FPS is fun? More like all they throw at us. Name really any "good" non-modern FPS, that actually is worth considering. I mean paid games and not the F2P model, being a lot just slap on F2P to get people interested. So they can nickel and dime you, with all these little things that would make it that much easier.

Name what non-realistic FPS, a big company like EA or such would throw at us. Since I've watched all the releases and really, in the end is the same old lets reuse the modern shooter aspect. Next CoD is at least going, into the future somewhat. BF had 2142 which then got shelved, in place of the other games.

UT is basically the only 'unrealistic' shooter, aside from Quake that was actually pretty damn fun. Especially in multiplayer when really, you had a lot of cool aspects to the game. Name any game really, that had a double jump or damage amp, etc that basically wasn't a crappy game in the end.

To me and millions of other players, counter-strike was more fun than Unreal Tournament. Day of Defeat is superior to UT. UT had too many empty servers anyways.

To me and millions of other players, counter-strike was more fun than Unreal Tournament. Day of Defeat is superior to UT. UT had too many empty servers anyways.

They are all very different games, Some people preferred the Fast paced, Dodging off walls, Double jump, Crazy gun UT. Others preferred the slower paced, Accuracy is key, Realistic guns Counter Strike, Day of Defeat is kinda different but I really only played it a couple of hours, it was fun but has way more empty servers than UT has.

Personally I'm still having a blast playing TF2. Realistic ones have their place, but they get boring much quicker I think. Never really played the UT series that much, would definitely be interested in this.

Day of Defeat sucks compared to UT. I don't even know how can u compare these 2 games. They are so much different. Same with Counter Strike, I played CS more than anyone, could go pro if I wanted, but still I enjoyed UT much more.

UT was so much fun to play. The bot AI was just perfect, no human players, no problem. The AI would rake the floor with you on the harder modes.

Back