'Unreal Tournament' return imminent, says Epic Games

By Shawn Knight
May 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Unreal Tournament fans, listen up! Epic Games over the weekend took to Twitter to announce the franchise will take the first step in its return later this week. That's in stark contrast to comments made by Epic founder Tim Sweeney...

Read more
  2. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 803   +270

Man I loved playing UT1999, probably the best FPS to date. I also liked UT2004, others are good but not as good as these two. Unreal Tournament 3 was nice but it didn't have that "feel" and psyhics original did.
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,882   +638

I played so much UT2004 and I still go back to it every so often to this day.

I did start to warm to UT3 once they brought out that massive "black edition" patch but it lost a bit of soul in that game.

I hope this is a return to form, man that would be amazing!
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

YES!! One of the best shooter series ever made.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,375

I smell the Oculus support is coming for this title, big time...

...perhaps with BFG renamed into FBG, but who cares...
  6. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Addict Posts: 224   +46

Deck 17 baby!
  7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Oh man, so many fun times getting stress-relief on UT3 with the sound blasted. :')

8. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

About time, I miss Unreal Tournament
  9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Unreal Tournament was fine, but I really reminisce over the actual story based game Unreal. I remember the first time I got an Open GL graphics accelerator card and was in awe of the mirrored floors and particles that streamed from the lights.
  10. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,159   +67

Oh yes, this sounds awesome.

You will never have this experience again. I remember watching the tower flyby on my ATI Rage II+ DVD and later on a Matrox m3D. I don't think the game itself was that amazing, it was just impressive eye candy for the time. We're jaded enough about graphics now that I think few people would be so terribly impressed as gamers were in the early days of 3D.
  11. I always felt that unreal had one of the best optimized engines.
  12. ouchhurts1

ouchhurts1 TS Rookie

nothing BEATS UT the very first one the one right after UNREAL/UNREAL 2
    user created content
    fast paced
    not to bad of graphics but also not so much **** it was a distraction
    all about competition and "ART" I played some of the most craziest maps
    from that game back then
    most game's copy the ideas that people pioneered
  13. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 344   +101

Ah yes.. the classic Facing Worlds, which pretty much stood the test of each release. 2K4 was IMO the best of all games, fast action but also more variety. UT3 basically was a more modern appearance, but it was lacking so much 2K4 had. Went from fast fun to just, general run and gun kind of speed. Which just killed the enjoyment a bit to me at least.

UT was a great series and it continued expanding, but I felt UT3 was more a step backwards to the original. Just with a more modern polish to it really, which while it's kinda nice didn't really do it for an enjoyment feel. Go back to 2K4 any time and really, it's a night and day difference in speed.
  14. I personally would like to see a return of the actual "tournament" single player (ut2004 etc) alongside a campaign like the one in ut3.
  15. People didn't stop playing quake or unreal due to graphics. They stopped because it wasn't as fun as realistic FPS.
  16. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

That is a sad truth ET3D, about how we've become jaded about graphics. With all the great lighting effects, physics effects, and high resolution texture mapping, about the only thing that I could imagine wanting from a game tomorrow might be real clothing technology so that things look less like painted plastic action figures and better collision detection so that models stop falling through walls.
  17. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 344   +101

Realistic FPS is fun? More like all they throw at us. Name really any "good" non-modern FPS, that actually is worth considering. I mean paid games and not the F2P model, being a lot just slap on F2P to get people interested. So they can nickel and dime you, with all these little things that would make it that much easier.

Name what non-realistic FPS, a big company like EA or such would throw at us. Since I've watched all the releases and really, in the end is the same old lets reuse the modern shooter aspect. Next CoD is at least going, into the future somewhat. BF had 2142 which then got shelved, in place of the other games.

UT is basically the only 'unrealistic' shooter, aside from Quake that was actually pretty damn fun. Especially in multiplayer when really, you had a lot of cool aspects to the game. Name any game really, that had a double jump or damage amp, etc that basically wasn't a crappy game in the end.
  18. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah seriously.
  19. To me and millions of other players, counter-strike was more fun than Unreal Tournament. Day of Defeat is superior to UT. UT had too many empty servers anyways.
  20. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,882   +638

They are all very different games, Some people preferred the Fast paced, Dodging off walls, Double jump, Crazy gun UT. Others preferred the slower paced, Accuracy is key, Realistic guns Counter Strike, Day of Defeat is kinda different but I really only played it a couple of hours, it was fun but has way more empty servers than UT has.
  21. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 218   +64

I really didn't see this coming... I've been hoping they'd bring UT back to showcase UE4.
  22. I always used to beat everybody in it.
  23. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

Personally I'm still having a blast playing TF2. Realistic ones have their place, but they get boring much quicker I think. Never really played the UT series that much, would definitely be interested in this.
  24. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 803   +270

Day of Defeat sucks compared to UT. I don't even know how can u compare these 2 games. They are so much different. Same with Counter Strike, I played CS more than anyone, could go pro if I wanted, but still I enjoyed UT much more.
  25. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Addict Posts: 224   +46

UT was so much fun to play. The bot AI was just perfect, no human players, no problem. The AI would rake the floor with you on the harder modes.