TechSpot

Unrecognizable drive for windows installation.

By elmd0r
Jun 28, 2005
  1. I recently had a virus(not sure which) destroy my computer. It wouldn't boot, until I used a bootdisk to go into DOS and repair the sector. Afterwards, it worked fine for two more restarts, but then it wouldn't boot, and I couldn't repair it. There were no files on it anymore. I reinstalled Windows XP Home, and it worked fine. After using it for the night, I shut it off. The next morning, my mom used it and said it had been running fine. I tried to use it later that day, but it wouldn't allow me to install anything, go online, or see any of the devices already installed. Even in C: properties it didn't show the main drive.
    Shortly afterwards, it wouldn't boot up again. I decided to try reinstalling and formatting the drive. I get the error "No recognizable hard drive". Is there any way to resolve this, or should I just get rid of my computer?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.