Unresponsive Mouse "Power Surge in Hub Port" Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonDTHoang

My friend is having this problem where he gets the error "Power Surge in Hub Port" and his mouse stops working. Usually he is able to just take it out and put it back in and it will work for another 10-15 minutes. However, as of today, he got that error and tried several times but nothing, it's just stopped working. The stupid thing is it tells him to click on it if he wants to fix it, but his mouse isn't working, and when it does work, the message goes away. Is there anything I can do to help him out? So far, having checked out the problem, its not the mouse, unless both of the mice he has are both defective. I just can't locate the problem. Thanks in advance.

Is this USB or PS/2? In other words, is it a little round connector, or a rectangular one?

If it's round (PS/2), I'm not sure what to do, but if it's rectangular (USB), try plugging it into a different USB port. Maybe plug it into a port on the front of the case.

Ummmm, its a USB mouse. For some reason he has no USB in the back of the computer. I told him to switch to the other one and it worked, but got the same problem after about 10-15 minutes again.

It sounds like the USB hub got fried. Maybe buy a cheap PCI USB card from Newegg, so that you don't have to use the dead controller. Did he build the system himself, or is it a HP/Dell/etc?

Okay, well thanks, I'll let him know, or I'll try and convince him to buy a Serial Mouse if his USB is fried.

How old is his system? If it's anything since, maybe, 2000, i.e. if it has round connectors on the back of the motherboard, it probably needs a PS/2 mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back