Unresponsive section on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Hello,
I have just wiped and reinstalled my mums 13month old asus vista laptop.

The odd thing is that there is an area on the screen where the mouse pointer does not work, it took a while to fugure out as I just thought that the program running has become unresponsive, for example when a dialogue box pops up, you need to drag it to the bottom of the screen to be able to click on yes or no, sometimes, the dialogue box is completely in the dead zone and can not be moved.

This is random and some days is worse than others.

Anyone ever had this.
Cheers

You can increase the size of your laptop displayed area, through:
Control Panel
Display
Settings Tab
Adjust Screen Resolution

Usually this resolution is already put to the correct position from loading your display drivers.

Actually have all the drivers been loaded, from your manufactures support page?

Thanks for the reply, guess you did not actually understand the problem, maybe I did not discribe it properly.
The resolution is correct and the latest drivers are loaded.
Ta

sometimes, the dialogue box is completely in the dead zone and can not be moved
Is what prompted me to say adjust the screen size viewing area.
Each laptop have a specific screen size, which the drivers usually adjust properly to.

But I do want to understand your issue more specifically.
Are you saying the mouse just can't click in a certain area? (actually the more info the better - even a screen shot of the problem)

Yes there is a section about 100mm square in which the mouse pointer does not work, it is to the right of center and about half wau up. But sometimes all is ok. a screen shot would not help as the screen appears normal to view.

How strange!

Unless it is an active Desktop wallpaper or something.
Does it also happen when you open a folder (any folder, maximized) Can you move objects around this dead zone ? (I understand it is intermittant, so difficult to test)

Just in case, please confirm that inside Desftop wallpaper properties, that you do not have any web wallpaper enabled. (even try changing the background color and picture to something else, and test again)

Other than that, it could be a background program running (even a joke program) please check TaskManager processes for anything suspicious. Or download and run Startup Control Panel and remove any not required startups.

Ram is another interesting possibility, although I don't believe that it would always be in the exact same spot. Depending on how interested you are in solving the mystery, you could run Memtest too. (for 7 passes)

Also confirm you have the latest mouse drivers loaded for your touchpad.

Hang, that might be it
If your touchpad is faulty, or even dirty or scratched. This could cause the issue you describe. Firstly try cleaning the touchpad simply wipe it with a damp lint-free cloth. You can also test this surface area by lifting your finger up and away to another position on the touchpad (ie Left and down a bit), and test the dead area again.

I believe the last option above, is the most likely cause. You can also prove this by using an external USB mouse and testing the dead area as well.

Have I covered everything?

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the problem is the samewith the external usb mouse.
I have background, screensaver all set to none or default, I have also tried altering the performance settings to best performance. When I wiped, I did a clean inatall and got the latest drivers from the support site. also updated bios.

The trouble is that nothing can be seen and you can if the edge of the box is outside of the "zone" drag it to an area on the screen where the pointer will click the box. On the occasion that this cannot work the only option is to CTRl Alt Delete and shut the prog as key shortcuts do not work either.

Pretty sure I am going to take it back to supplier as it is driving my mum nuts.

13month old asus vista laptop.
What is the model number? (just in case anyone else has had a similar issue)

If you're taking it back to the supplier , is it still under warranty?

I believe they will likely replace the touchpad hardware.

Please keep this thread updated with further info (as you become aware of it)
Because I have run out of ideas !

It is an Asus F3M . Thanks for all the effort, I will update as and when I know more, as I have not been able to find the same problem anywhere. The difficulty is in correctly discribing the fault as it is a strange one.:confused:

ptitterington - mate, I have the same issue... 15" screen and the centre 4" or so (can be more or less) can go 'dead' IE the cursor will not 'click' or 'drag' dialogue boxs or be active in that area etc...

Its freaking annoying!

Ohh and I have an Asus F3J.

If you have any luck pls post it as I would love to resolve the issue - U had been blaming vista but it could just as easily be an Asus driver issue (for which they do not yet - AFAIK - have a resolution for).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back