Unstable local network connection

RayRay

hey

the last 5-6 days the network connection sometimes doesn't connecting to Internet.
usually appears after power the pc on. and happened while been connected.

Network- and sharing center
computer ------------ local network --------X------ Internet

sometimes it helps just pull out the cable then plug it in, other is, turn off and on the router, or deactivate and activate the network card.

also tried update driver, but that seemed to mess it more up so i went to device-manager and unistalled the driver, install it again from the cd to the mobo.

the other pc in the house is a laptop using the wireless with no problems.

my sys specs on button +
network card
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

router
Inteno X5668b

thanks

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW. Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW.

well, no, but i've tried the one from the gigabyte site. here

Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

yes, one green, solid
one yellow flashing, activity

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.

it is onboard NIC
oh no, my mobo is just like 4 months old and been connected to internet for a month.
great.
oh well, guess I have to look for a PCI or PCI-E based NIC.

what should i pick PCI or PCI-E and also what brand?

First get the drivers from Realtek Here

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

Okay I have this on PCI-E short card the driver came from Realtek dated 3/4/2010
Driver Version: 7.17.304.2010

Wow! Looks like there is newer one to what I have..
Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver 7.023 2010/8/19 534k

Best to download that see if that fixes your issue? If not just disable the onboard NIC and buy PCI-E mini Gig these are dual direction very quick. If you need to go this way I'll tell you what I had to get to fix my issue. First the driver then replacement if you need to go the second route?

If you're not on Win 7 yet there are XP, Vista, Server drivers on that link above.

First get the drivers from Realtek Here

ok, downloaded, ''Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1419849)''

and...........
had connection before installation, after install. restarted pc to be sure, then it rapidly connected and disconnected like a on/of switch for 2 mins, then only disconnection like the illustrator on my 1 post. went to device manager and disabled the NIC, then enabled it. bAm, got internet connection.

kinda weird, huh?

cute avitar :) MANY times I feel that way at the end of the day :wave:

ok, downloaded, ''Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1419849)''

and...........
had connection before installation, after install. restarted pc to be sure, then it rapidly connected and disconnected like a on/of switch for 2 mins, then only disconnection like the illustrator on my 1 post. went to device manager and disabled the NIC, then enabled it. bAm, got internet connection.

kinda weird, huh?

Seem this before, but now it works!

jobeard said:
cute avitar :) MANY times I feel that way at the end of the day :wave:

thanks, lol, me too

tipstir said:
Seem this before, but now it works!

yeah, but it still cranky after startup. doesn't wanna connect before i turn it off then on. kinda the same on the 5. post.

anyway thanks, tipstir. now the NIC is more stable.

maybe I should get a new NIC, looks like this one is failing, the card itself.
thinking about some intel card, have seen some good customer reviews.

I use Realtek and Marvel NICs. Intel and 3Com (is merged with HP) but still Intel is pricey. All NICs can fail they're not fail proof. Good luck with your decision.

Back