Unusual BSoD incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie79

I got up Monday Morning about 8AM ( I work from home, therefore my hours are a little flexible) Anyway I got up, but wasn't feeling well because of allergies and so I checked my morning emails, popped a Benadryl and went back to bed about 8:30-9:00 leaving my computer on as I've done a million times before.

About 12Noon or a little after I got up thinking I was going to check email, read the newspaper online and catch up on some work since I was feeling better. When I turned on my computer and woke it from standby mode I saw a blue screen with
"Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" as the key point. It said that "if this is the first time you've seen this screen, please restart your computer. So I reached down and manually restarted my computer.

I haven't recently installed any new devices but I did install a new piece of software last week (Kodak Easy Share because I am about to get into editing some old rare family photos after I scan them) but I I took it off Sunday night because every time I boooted my PC, the Kodak Program would tell me it had "encountered a problem and needs to be closed" but I deleted it and all the file associations and things that went with it and everything was working fine, as I said, til about 12Noon today May 5

I powered it back on and now I can't even get my Compaq flash screen to come up. The CD-ROM/DVD/CDRW all in one drive will spin and read a CD but I can't tell if my hard drive is reading or not....the indicator light on my hard drive is on, but to be honest I never paid attention to what the light does when it's reading data or writing data) the CPU fan comes on but doesn't get quiet after a few seconds like it normally does

I don't recall hearing any memory beeps EVER, or even a beep at the end of POST on the computer (I've only had it for three months) but it always breezed right through POST and never gave me any hint of any problems.

**Latest info as of Tuesday Morning May 5****

I got up expecting to have to take my computer in to the shop. I got up, made myself a cup of coffee etc. Well on a whim I decided to try to boot up one more time. I'll be a monkey's uncle the fan turned on then a few seconds later comes the Compaq flash screen, the next thing I know up comes the Windows XP flash screen, followed by my desktop, programs, icons, etc. so booted everything. The only thing that I found wrong so far was that Windows was displaying the wrong time in the system tray. I reset it, and it seems to be holding at the time of this posting. Anyone have any ideas what might have triggered the BSoD to begin with and why it automatically resolved itself after roughly 9 hours?

Per MS
This Stop error message usually occurs during installation when there was an attempt in kernel mode to touch pageable memory at too high a process internal request level (IRQL). Typically, this error occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error include an incompatible device driver, a general hardware problem, or incompatible software.

Here is the Knowledge Base Article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

Suggestions
1, Check Your Drivers for Issues: Right Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager Button:
Are there any Yellow Triangles or Red X's? If so, try rolling back the driver.
2. Check Memory: Use Memtest. See https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html
3. Check Your Hard drive for errors: At least use ChkDsk, a Windows Tool, which will run when you restart.
From File Manager, right click on one of your hard drives, click properties, tools tab, error checking button.
(or run from Start -> Run "chkdsk")
4. See if your minidumps might provide more clues. Zip three or four of the most recent and attach them to your next post so that one of those experienced with WinDbg can help interpret them. Be sure to provide full system specs, including your hardware and OS & SP#.
How to attach files: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15592.html
How to Zip files: https://www.techspot.com/download1751.html

Thanks Bookwyrm.

That explains the "what happened?" part of my question. What puzzled me was that after all day on Monday trying to reboot and only being able to get power but no display etc, everything is running as normal since then. In fact I am on the computer in question as I type this. I haven't had any blue screens or any other problems since then. I will run memtest and see if there's anything it catches.

I ran Memtest--No Errors
I did chkdsk yesterday--no errors
No device conflicts

as I said I haven't had anymore mini dumps since Monday and now everything is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back