Upcoming ATI Radeon HD 5670 pictured and tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

AMD's Radeon HD 5900, 5800 and 5700 series are currently unrivaled in terms of performance in their respective high-end and mainstream graphics markets, and now it seems the company is ready to secure the low end as well. A community member at HardForum has posted pictures of what appears to be the upcoming Radeon HD 5670, a sub-$100 card with DirectX 11 support that's slated for a Q1 2010 launch.

The pictures shown on the forum represent an alleged engineering sample of the card, which had DVI, HDMI, and D-Sub connectors, as well as dual slot active cooling in the form of a heatsink with radially-projecting metal fins and a fan nested inside. The card also appears to draw all its power from the PCI-Express slot.

Based on a 40nm GPU codenamed "Redwood," the Radeon HD 5670's leaked specifications include a graphics core clocked at 775MHz and 1GB of GDDR5 memory operating at 1,000MHz on a 128-bit bus. Furthermore a GPU-Z screenshot shows it has 400 stream processors, 16 ROPs and 64GB/s of memory bandwidth.

According to the poster, AMD's Radeon HD 5670 scores 859 on the Unigine benchmark, a 23 percent increase when compared to the previous-generation Radeon HD 4670. It also showed a nice 47 percent improvement compared to its predecessor when running Street Fighter 4 at a resolution of 1600 x 1200, with no anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering; scoring 10,473 points with average of 95 frames per second.

Permalink to story.

"The card also appears to draw all its power from the PCI-Express slot."

That is a step in the right direction with video cards.

I love the progress ATI has been making! It will be quite interesting to see how Nvidia responds...

This is a really good card for a HTPC. If it's the same as the other card then the idle power draw numbers should be insanely small and since it doesn't need a 6 or 4 pin connector we can safely say that the card also has a very low power draw when used.

This could also be a good low end gaming card. I want to see some benchmarks when it comes out.

A very nice leap for ATI from the previous generation card. It seems to have decent performance for a sub $100 card. Now, if only we could convince everyone to buy one of these instead of an Xbox 360 or PS3, we could enjoy the good old days of when people went to the PC first for video gaming.

This is probably the card Dell and HP will start shipping with their "High End" Systems and then charge you $200 to upgrade to a 5700 series card ;-p

LOL @ compdata.

Not the card I want, but it seems pretty clear that if nVidia doesn't want to get blown out of the market altogether, they'd better pull their heads out and get going with their own lines of DX11 cards.

Yeah, too bad that FERMI is coming out only after the new year, but ati has a huge shortage of cards, so if they want to make a buck in the holiday season, they'd better be scratching by now.

nice card, but the 4770 is a better buy. (yet it dsnt have dx11, which makes no sense)

ATIs cards are getting better and better. anyone remember the 8800 GTX ??? this little thing is 1/5 ($) of what that card was and twice the performace. everytime i want to fell better about our current technology process i look what was high end one year before. it feels like we're on the right track.

I LIKE the fact that it comes with dvi, vga and hdmi. the fact that no additional power is really nice.

A very nice leap for ATI from the previous generation card. It seems to have decent performance for a sub $100 card. Now, if only we could convince everyone to buy one of these instead of an Xbox 360 or PS3, we could enjoy the good old days of when people went to the PC first for video gaming.

the glory days of PC gaming are over, it's the game developers that are isolating PC gamers and not video card manufacturers...

Afenix said:
Yeah, too bad that FERMI is coming out only after the new year, but ati has a huge shortage of cards, so if they want to make a buck in the holiday season, they'd better be scratching by now.

And when we finally actually see them, then we'll see if nVidia can gain back the ground it's losing as the top dog in GPU technology. But, we've been waiting for FERMI for a while, and ATi's been dropping hot cards and taking over the lead in graphics performance in the meantime. I'm truly excited to see what FERMI has to offer, I just hope for nVidia's sake that it's the huge killer platform they are hyping, because ATi is no longer the clumsy cousin that bumbles along and barely competes. If you want a great example of how well ATi is doing on the competitive front, compare this product to the joke of a GT240 card that nVidia just popped out in the same price range.

Has anyone else noticed a trend forming that has ATi's products being more power efficient as they continue to release new products? It'll be interested to see how efficient the new nVidia FERMI stuff is, or if we'll all have to upgrade to 1000+W power supplies... heh

this looks really bad for nvidia with their 220 and the newly released 240. why would anybody in the world settle for a 240 when this thing will no doubt crush it in performance AND price, not to mention, there are so much more cards with relatively similar pricing that are far superior to the 240. nvidia is definitely falling way behind..

looks like a pretty solid card for a budget gaming PC or a HTPC. I can see that card making it into a lot of OEM machines as well. I think it is smart for ATI to get as much of their 5xxx series lineup launched before Nvidia has a chance to counter.

bitMorph3r said:
ATIs cards are getting better and better. anyone remember the 8800 GTX ??? this little thing is 1/5 ($) of what that card was and twice the performace. everytime i want to fell better about our current technology process i look what was high end one year before. it feels like we're on the right track.

I wouldn't say twice the performance of a 8800 GTX, I would even say that this new card is actually less powerful. When it was released it was the best card money could buy three years ago. Albeit it was a lot of money but it would have been on par with what you pay for todays best card. Three years has seen a lot of change, and I wouldn't trade up a 8800 GTX for this thing.

I have been thinking of building a HTPC out of the spare parts I have lying around. All that's missing is a video card and this might be a contender . . .

AMD seem to be releasing the mid-range 5xxx series a lot quicker than they did with the mid-range 4xxx series, I guess they learnt their lesson from the previous generation.

nvidia has there hands full if amd gets all of the 5000 series cards out and rolling from low end to high amd has everything covered. this is great for the consumers who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a video card hey even the general can use this since it has no external power adapter.

so I am guessing this card will perform someone around the 4770 (somewhere between the 4830 and 4850) but with better power requirements. Just a guess since it is faster than the 4670 and the 5770 is roughly the performance of the 4870.

Sub $100 for a brand new HD card....good deal. Sure its not the best, sure it can be beaten. But for the average Joe....it will do everything they want.

I (and the people in my circle) don't run games at 1600x2000 resolution with all the sliders peaked to full. 1280x1024 is the most any game needs to be at, and keeping the sliders in the default positions will still give a complete experience in game.

"The card also appears to draw all its power from the PCI-Express slot. "
Awesome..
...Waiting for Nvidia's respond to all this..

Nvidia better be out doing humanitarian aid or something for it's 'lack of response' to AMD. I would like to see options here. At the current rate I may just end up switching to an ATI card (because if that is all there is out there the game designers, publishers, etc. will be allying with AMD).

This is my kind of card as I'm not really a gamer and this would offer great performance at a very reasonable price point.

@Timonius, I don't know what the numbers are like for PC gaming, but Graphical computing as it relates to cluster and supercomputing is a burgeoning market and if gaming is really swinging back to consoles, then picking up contracts like the next gen DSi and creating products like the tesla line may be Nvidia's new money. They are being pushed on all sides by AMD+ATI and Intel and they have answered by placing mini super processors on the PCI bus. Seems they are evolving past just gaming.

Faced with an unsure and shrinking market, they created one of their own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back