"Update" BIOS to a previous version

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I recently flashed the BIOS on my P5N32-E SLI from 1404 to 1601, and when it was done, the board would no longer successfully POST with both of my 8800GTS 512s plugged in. Every time it POSTed it would fail either upon listing the CPU speed, or while searching for HDDs and optical drives. Problem disappeared when I removed my second 8800GTS. I wondered if maybe my power supply (460 watt Enermax, 33A +12V) was starting to fail, because it is a little low on juice to power an SLI system.

But it powered it just fine for about 4 months.

So that led me to believe that this BIOS flash has somehow caused the board to not want to POST anymore when both cards are plugged in. So I'm wondering if it's possible to flash my BIOS back to an older version, one that actually allows SLI to work.

EDIT: Fixed, see post 10.

IF you updated your Bios you might need to also go into it and re-enable SLI.

Check it out!

I don't remember enabling SLI in the BIOS the first time I did it...

I'll go give it a whirl, but I don't even know if that option is in there.

No option in the BIOS to enable or disable SLI.

All I saw that related to SLI besides PCI-E slot speeds, and voltages, was SLI Broadcast Aperture. It was disabled, I enabled it, then installed my other card to no effect. I also tried the two cards without the SLI bridge connected, but I got the same results.

Any other ideas?
I still think I should patch my BIOS back to the old version, but I don't know if I can safely do that.

Yes, the last time I flashed it, I did it by pressing.... F2? One of the F keys, while it was POSTing, and that allowed me to install the BIOS off of my USB flash drive. I can't really use a floppy because I don't have a floppy slot anymore...

I'll give it a whirl in a little bit and see what happens. Thanks CCT :)

yes, just flash the old bios back. You DID save a copy didn't you?
The best way is to use a floppy. This is the primary reason to still use floppies.

Well can't I just download the older version from the internet? I found download links to nearly every version of BIOS for this motherboard...

Thanks for the help guys. I flashed it back to the 1404 BIOS that I had previously, and everything's working again :)

Yeah, I guess that would have been a good strategy here. :dead: If I hadn't flashed it, nothing would have gone wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back