TechSpot

Updating Drivers on a Laptop after Reformatting

By Deman
Aug 30, 2008
  1. Hi,

I'm planning on reformatting a friend's computer because it really needs it. I've never reformatted a laptop before, and I before I do it, I was wondering what would be the best way to get a complete list of all the drivers that will need to be updated after reformatting.

Does windows have something, or is there a program I could install, or a website that could help me out?

any help is much appreciated.

(I really hope this is the right place to put this topic, if not, if a mod could move it or something, that'd be great!)

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

If you know the make and model you go to the makers' site and they usually have all the latest downloads - it is the proper procedure to install chipset drivers FIRST then audio, video (if the comp has onboard video) and LAN. If the comp has an add-on video card, you have to identify that and download the latest driver for your particular operating system.

Other things too numerous to mention BUT that's a start.

:)

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

You save yourself and lot of time/effort using DriverMax (freeware) to
    - export your drivers before reformatting
    - reformat and re-install DriverMax
    - import your drivers

4. Deman

Deman TS Rookie Topic Starter

This sounds like it would do the trick. Ill check it out tomorrow morning.

thanks a bunch

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.