Updating graphics card

TechMancer

Hey, so I need to update my graphics card on my Satellite, but I heard I can just "download" one. This sounds unlikely, but is it true?

Hey, so I need to update my graphics card on my Satellite, but I heard I can just "download" one. This sounds unlikely, but is it true?
You would likely need to contact your satellite service provider for the answer to your question. There are firmware updates that are periodically available. However I figure by now they are automatically installed (I could be wrong though), to keep the machines up to date.

Start, Run, 'dxdiag'. Find what graphics card you have under the Display tab.

Then google for 'AMD drivers' or 'nvidia drivers' depending.

Hey, so I need to update my graphics card on my Satellite, but I heard I can just "download" one. This sounds unlikely, but is it true?​
Your intuition is correct: that's definitely not true, assuming your terminology is correct.

Very, very, very few laptops have upgradable (or even replaceable) graphics cards. Most laptops have integrated graphics and even ones that have discrete graphics (I.e. a "real" graphics chip) still have the GPU soldered onto the motherboard.

What you CAN download though are newer graphics drivers -- these can sometimes improve performance, add features and increase gaming compatibility. This will be the only way to update your graphics card. In most cases though, these updates make little difference as the hardware itself is typically the most limiting factor.

So do you any good sites to update an Intel GMA 950 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0, if it is possible?

Back