TechSpot

Updating Ubuntu to 8.04 version

By gilloz
Apr 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've sent away for the new version of Ubuntu 8.04, not the Beta version, the complete new version. Will I encounter any problems inserting the CD to update my present Ubuntu 7.10 version and not affect my updates and present additional programs already installed? I get the feeling that when I install the CD, it will start up like a new install and format everything or am I incorrect on that assumption?
  2. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

As always with an upgrade like that, do a complete backup first!
  3. Do you have an internet connection? You could have run a dist upgrade instead of ordering the CD. Though having the CD is definitely a good thing. I'm sure that you can still run the dist upgrade and point it to the cdrom instead of the repositaries on the net using the "apt-cdrom" command. Check the official forums, this is your best bet for everything ubuntu.
  4. gilloz

gilloz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 95

Thanks guys for the replies. I already ordered the CD. They say it will be 4 to 6 weeks. Thats OK. I have been reading different forums on Ubuntu new version and there sure are a lot of problems. I'm going to wait a bit before I do anything. I may just do a complete clean install as oppose to just upgrading. I don't want to download the ISO. I heard how long that took for some people. It appears that there are more problems then i ever anticipated. I will just stand by and watch the circus.
  5. avister51291

avister51291 Newcomer, in training

Well, you can update directly from ubuntu 7.10. without using the live cd.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.