TechSpot

Updating video driver vs replacing video card

By hamlspam55
Aug 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have an e Machine T-series with Ati Radeon xpress 200 series. recently the borders and text in any window started becoming very "fuzzy looking", making it very difficult to read text.. I tried the system recovery with no change. Should I try to update the video drivers from a a download site or, replace the card on the board? plz help, I cant afford a new computer. thanks so much.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

if this has degraded overtime and was not fixed with a restore of the system it's probably a hardware issue and won't be fixed by a driver update. Have you checked to be sure it's not the monitor? Do you have another video card you can try just to see if that fixes the issue?

3. hamlspam55

hamlspam55 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I don't have another video card but I could buy one as long as I know what kind to get that is compatable with my comp. Im just looking for a slight upgrade without having to change out power supply, etc. Im not looking to play current games, I have games 2+ yrs old that I play that were compat. with this card. Just a few other specs; AMD Athlon 64 3500+. Hope this is helpful.

I forgot to answer your question about the monitor; yes I did try another monitor and it was doing the same thing.

I apologize for the double posting.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.