Upgrade a Dell Dimension 2400

I have been asked to upgrade this dell to improve performance as it has a Pentium 4 processor that runs at 2.66GHz and I think 512-MB Ram. So my Question is...What motherboard should I get, ram etc and would i need to change psu depending on the new equipment you suggest?
Ideally it would be under €150

Where are you buying from and what's the PSU in this computer? And what is the computer going to be used for?

At this point, I would suggest an AM3-based system; maybe an Athlon II X4, a cheap AsRock (or similar) motherboard and a 4GB RAM kit. Depending on where you buy it from that should add up to just about €150. But then again, depending on your needs, maybe a Sandy Bridge based system would be better; it would be good if you gave more specific details of what you need.

You can't really "upgrade" this Dell. The P-4 in question is (most likely), a socket 478.

That would be a complete dead end. The DDR memory is a repair part, basically.

So if you're asking, "how could I upgrade it", it doesn't really qualify as being an "upgrade" issue. Anything more than an extra stick of RAM would be a massive waste of time and money.

The only thing usable from this is likely the case. Which is also doubtful, as most OEM Matx cases have very poor ventilation. Depending on chipset, which in the case of socket 478, the best you could hope for would be Intel 845, which still might leave you with all IDE drives, both HDD and optical

So, IMO this should be a, I'd like to build a new computer issue, not an upgrade.

This is the kind of machine you load up with security software and and use to cruise the web.

You can't really "upgrade" this Dell. The P-4 in question is (most likely), a socket 478.

That would be a complete dead end. The DDR memory is a repair part, basically.

So if you're asking, "how could I upgrade it", it doesn't really qualify as being an "upgrade" issue. Anything more than an extra stick of RAM would be a massive waste of time and money.

The only thing usable from this is likely the case. Which is also doubtful, as most OEM Matx cases have very poor ventilation. Depending on chipset, which in the case of socket 478, the best you could hope for would be Intel 845, which still might leave you with all IDE drives, both HDD and optical

So, IMO this should be a, I'd like to build a new computer issue, not an upgrade.

This is the kind of machine you load up with security software and and use to cruise the web.

Agreed, my last computer was a dell dimension 2400 and upgrading is out of the question. Your max ram is 2gigs despite what your manual might tell you. But idk if you would even see a increase in performance over 1gig. You could probably get a 512 stick off ebay for like 10$.

I wasted about 200$ upgrading my dell dim 2400 in 2009. I bought a new power supply, 2gigs total ram and a nvidea 6200 pci video card. It ran better but was no where near worth the money spent. Since it uses a pci slots you cannot get a decent video card. And like capt pointed out it uses the old 478 socket, any mobo you buy for that case\cpu will have to be 478 and will cost way more then they are worth since they are not mass produced anymore. All my cables were ide, cd player, hard drive etc.

The only good that came of it was that the power supply was enough to work on my new rig and died a month before its warranty went out. Which was replaced by the manufacture with a 600w power supply since they no longer made my old one. My first one was 400w or something im not sure.

Build a new rig!

Back