upgrade ability of a E1705 inspiron laptop from dell

By Fly_Guy
Dec 23, 2006
  1. ok i wanted to get a laptop from dell in january specifically the E1705. now its most likely be configured with a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS, Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB), a well as 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz. now my question is that when dx10 Gpu's for laptops come out do you think that i would be able to upgrade this laptop with out many issues such a compatibility the rig in general.

P.S sorry that sounding odd i cant think of any other way to say it because i don't know the motherboard they use when making them lol so I'm asking about it here.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

A vast majority of laptops have the gpu on the mobo which makes upgrading impossible without replacing the mobo, and doing so can be very very expensive.
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The GPU chip in laptops is soldered onto the mobo which makes it physically impossible to install another one. No laptop I know of can support a major hardware upgrade such as a CPU or a GPU replacement, although adding more memory is possible.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

for laptops you can upgrade the HD, the CD/DVD (sometimes), and add more RAM.

a FEW (really FEW) you can add new graphics cards. But that is extremely rare.

Even fewer are those that allow CPU changes.
  5. Fly_Guy

Fly_Guy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

ok i kinda figured that much but wanted to check :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.