Upgrade from a 8800 GTX 768MB

By coldcuttin
Apr 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All

Think its time to upgrade my Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB,im having trouble playing some of the latest games like GTA4 at a decent frame rate.
    any suggestions on the best card for my system? im thinking something with at least 1GB memory.
    no budget really but obviously the cheaper the better :grinthumb

Heres my other parts

Motherboard : Abit IP35 Pro
    Memory : 4 GB Crucial DDR2
    CPU : Intel Q6600
    PSU : OCZ GameXStream Power Supply 600w
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,262   +41

gtx 260 216 core, or a 4870, only go for the 1gb version if you're using a monitor upwards of 22"
  5. coldcuttin

coldcuttin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 44

its looking like the 1GB HD4870 is going to be my best bet from the suggestions so far,its $140 cheaper than the geforce 280 gtx both with 1 GB memory.
    oh & Im using a 32" samsung tv @ 1360 by 768 max res at the moment if that makes any difference?

@ supersmashbrada..the gtx 260 216 core you suggested is only 896MB memory,is that really gonna be worth upgrading from a 8800 GTX 768MB?
  6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,262   +41

yes its a noticeable difference. Your resolutions arent that great so you want to go with core clock speeds/memory speed rather than a crap load of memory which is used for high resolutions. In the end the 4970 1gb is a great card as well.
  7. coldcuttin

coldcuttin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 44

ok ill take that into consideration when i decide.Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.