1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade from a 8800 GTX 768MB

By coldcuttin ยท 6 replies
Apr 1, 2009
  1. Hi All

Think its time to upgrade my Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB,im having trouble playing some of the latest games like GTA4 at a decent frame rate.
    any suggestions on the best card for my system? im thinking something with at least 1GB memory.
    no budget really but obviously the cheaper the better :grinthumb

Heres my other parts

Motherboard : Abit IP35 Pro
    Memory : 4 GB Crucial DDR2
    CPU : Intel Q6600
    PSU : OCZ GameXStream Power Supply 600w

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 994   +91

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

gtx 260 216 core, or a 4870, only go for the 1gb version if you're using a monitor upwards of 22"

5. coldcuttin

coldcuttin TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

its looking like the 1GB HD4870 is going to be my best bet from the suggestions so far,its $140 cheaper than the geforce 280 gtx both with 1 GB memory.
    oh & Im using a 32" samsung tv @ 1360 by 768 max res at the moment if that makes any difference?

@ supersmashbrada..the gtx 260 216 core you suggested is only 896MB memory,is that really gonna be worth upgrading from a 8800 GTX 768MB?

6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

yes its a noticeable difference. Your resolutions arent that great so you want to go with core clock speeds/memory speed rather than a crap load of memory which is used for high resolutions. In the end the 4970 1gb is a great card as well.

7. coldcuttin

coldcuttin TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

ok ill take that into consideration when i decide.Thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.