Upgrade Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman4201

Hello,

Am looking to upgrade my PC. I got it about 3 years ago. I will attach all the specs for the computer.

I would like to upgrade my Hard Drive for sure but don't know what Hard Drive would be compatible with my computer Should I go with internal or external because the PC is old and I can use the external on another comp. down the road or just get an internal drive My hard drive is 20gb and I would like atleast 500 -750gb

Internal to install your operating system and external to store data. I would recommend SATA drive but since your computer is old, it may not have SATA ports. If that's the case then your other options are IDE drives.

Find all information about your Hp (Compaq) Product HERE

By the way, I would only recommend updating the Ram & HardDrive (if anything) on this computer. Otherwise purchase a newer computer.

Could you suggest a good external Hard Drive for my current system my Spec's are attached in my first post.

Also 1 question? If I put the OS on my internal Hard Drive and all my data and programs on the external Drive can I use the programs if I plug the external HD in another computer that are save on the external Hard drive

You cannot move the programs to another computer that have been installed on an external HardDrive. Because things like registration and settings are usually installed in your main drive's registry (being in C drive)
Note: This does not apply to standalone programs (as an example Everest)

Speaking of such things as Everest

I do not know you Model number
But if you go to the link above (Find all information...) you will be able to find your Model and actually everything about your computer!

Lets say I only use an external Drive could I take all my computer programs I installed on the external Hard Drive to a new computer as long as I use my external hard drive for the main HD in the new computer

Well we have covered that some settings exist in the Registry on the main drive
I should say that there are also many system files installed on the main drive as well (not just in Program Files)

But if your HardDrive (the main Drive) was an external USB Drive, including all Programs.
You still cannot take it to another computer, because all the drivers, and mainly the chipset will be different, which will cause Windows to fault :(

Next hypothetical please..

Edit

Oh, I suppose you meant plug it in as a addon USB drive to another computer.
No that won't work either. (Although it won't fault Windows)
Because when the Program runs, it will try to find system files in C:\Windows\who knows where ! and it won't find them, because they are actually on D or E drive somewhere
Not only that, but the registry does not path to the addon drive, it always paths to the main drive (doesn't matter what you do)

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

Actually I found the questions quite interesting. Please post more if you need further help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back