Upgrade me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to install windows vista (currently running xp pro sp3) and I will be storing about 300G of music and video files. Not sure if my RAM and processor is up to par. I am just looking to find out what I need to buy and in what order... I currently have 510 MB or RAM and 1 Processor Speed:1.9GHz x86 Family 15 Model Stepping 4 Genuine intel. I am having problems booting right now but HOPEFULLY I WILL RESOLVE THESE PROBLEMS SOON... Anyway, just looking for advice on what might be best for me.. THANKS!

I think I replied to your booting issue thread...

Anyways, if you really want to "upgrade" to Vista I would look into getting at least 1GB RAM. Single-core processors are pretty obsolete now, but if you want to move to multicore you will need a new motherboard. If you are just looking to store, rip, and burn music, a budget dual core solution would be fine. If you are looking to do a lot of encoding and or editing, a quad might be the better way to go. Both AMD and Intel make great multicore processors. It's just a matter of finding a practical unit that fits your budget. If you want some recommendations, just ask.

Even XP doesn't run very well on 512MB of RAM, so Vista hardly will. 2GB of RAM can be had for quite cheap these days so go for that if possible. The CPU is fine, as long as you're not going to watch any HD movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back