Upgrade potential

By Moose22
Oct 16, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey, i want to do a graphics card upgrade, but i'm not sure what else i would have to upgrade, or i need to upgrade anything other than the graphics card (i'm open to other upgrades). I game a lot, and would like to continue to do so with the newer titles coming out, like call of duty, and grand theft auto 4. My budget would be between $300-450. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 Ghz 4MB Cache 1333 Mhz FSB
    Motherboard: Asus P5K-SE Intel P35 + ICH9 Chipset
    Memory: 2x 1GB PC5300 DDR2 667Mhz
    Graphics: ATI HD 2600 XT 256MB PCI Express Graphics Card
    Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache
    Optical Drive: 18x DVD�R/RW Drive
    Sound Card: 8 Channel High Definition Audio
    Chassis: Premium Mid Tower with 500W
    Operating System: vista
    Monitor: 24" acer
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

You wouldn't need anything else, unless the PSU's +12v rail amperage can't handle a new, more powerful, graphics card. I would, at the moment, recommend the Radeon HD4870 or the HD4870x2. Both cards have more than enough power for the newest titles but require a lot from the PSU. If you wanted to wait a little longer, the HD4850x2 is due out soon and I think AMD claims it beats out nVidia's GTX280. You just need to make sure that the cards would physically fit in the case, for they are 9+ inches long. An HD4870 goes for well under $300 at the moment and some are even less than $250!
  3. Moose22

Moose22 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Okay thats good to know, thanks alot for replying so quickly, im still not sure which i will choose, but at least i know i can upgrade with little trouble.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.