Upgrade PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Vader

I'm looking to upgrade my PSU, for future upgrades to my computer. I'm willing to spend about $100 and right now have an Ultra 500W with +12V/28A. I'm fairly decent at finding items, but I've noticed that some of the techies here are quite a bit better. heh.

Oh, I'm wanting to be able to run a 4870 and at least a Phenom II or Core 2 Quad.

Hmmm.. It looks good!

I'm just curious as to why you suggested a multi-rail 12v over a single rail? Don't they lose efficiency with more rails?

Multiple rails do not affect the efficiency of a unit in any way, because they are driven by the same transformer in most cases. They are just used for safety, so as to limit the current (and hence, power) per rail to a stipulated safe amount.

I recommend this PSU as a better choice compared to the Silencer 610.

That's what I would think too. That's why I was asking here, I didn't want to make the decision based off of my information. Last time I did that I ended up with parts that I could've gotten for a much better deal if I had waited for 3 months.

And Multi-Rails aren't necessary to xfire are they?

@mopar man, that post refers to idle efficiency, not the efficiency of the entire unit under load. Also, the extra MOSFETs' effect on efficiency comes into play on 750W+ units, where efficiency is very important so as not to overload the mains supply. And most importantly, I have yet to see a PSU that delivers close to 90% efficiency when loaded to its maximum power rating.

@Dr. Vader, it is entirely upto you. You should not see a significant difference on your power bill.

The little things...

That's what my dad is always worried about, the electricity bill. I turn my computer off when I'm through with it, for that very reason.

So Multiple rails are most efficiant while under load?

I'm confused! Off to do research!

mopar man said:
So Multiple rails are most efficiant while under load?
Not at all. They are no more less efficient than a single-rail PSU with the same specs and total combined +12V power rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back