Upgrade suggestions for my brother's PC

By pctobeupgraded
Feb 15, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey my lil bro is trying to upgrade his pc but the only stuff he needs its the vga,memory 4gb only plz and a processor for this mobo the d945gcnl hes is only willing to spend 300-400 dollars any suggestions???
  2. pctobeupgraded

pctobeupgraded Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 81

forgot that his case is a micro atx i think so the vga must be a low profile one or small but it mast be a bang for the buck haha!xD!
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

4. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,126

5. pctobeupgraded

thxs to both of you yeah i cheked and my bros mobo can only support 2gigs too bad hey his case its not from a recognized trademark due to our country (peru) someone told him that for the stuff he needed the case will suffise ( tm is:Avatec) i think its kinda large but its not a slimline but the motherboard is a micro atx (i cant find the model i have and avatec doesnt have a webpage) i dont need a psu i think 300 watss will suffise
  6. pctobeupgraded

if he has 1gb of memory already do he have to buy another one here are the memory specs i see in sisoftware sandra are: bank 0: 512 mb dimm ddr2 5-5-5-13 bank 1: ditto
  7. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 900

No, he will have to buy 2 gigabytes of ram. Right now, he has 2x512 megabyte sticks, which must both replaced with 2x1gb sticks to get 2 gb total. Also, if you do want to upgrade your video card, 300 watts will almost certainly be too little.
  8. pctobeupgraded

a ok will 500w suffice???
  9. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 900

For a video card within your budget it most likely will, but that depends on the specific power supply. Do not just look at the wattage. The most important thing besides the manufacturer is probably the number of amps on the 12 volt rail. A decent 500 watt PSU will probably have between 30 and 35 amps.

Did you have any particular PSU in mind? If your case can fit it, here is a high quality PSU that should support either of the previously recommended video cards. If you require a m-ATX PSU, look at the above post.
  10. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,257   +110

The corsair 450 is unescessary, he could go off an 9800gt or even a 4850 with just a corsair 400...
  11. pctobeupgraded

hey my bro and i decided that his case will make problems in the future so he changed with this one i guess hell be fine ah!! forgot we just ordered the parts the E6600,ocz gold and a 4670(due to change of case) and the case that he choose will come saturday or friday i guess:COOLER MASTER Elite 310 RC-310-BKR2-GP Black with blue front panel Steel Body / ABS plastic front bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail
  12. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,126

when he gets the case can you please post more info about the psu so we can know if he should junk it. most case and psu combo come with cheap psu
  13. pctobeupgraded

14. Alster37

Alster37 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 324

I wouldnt keep a cheap psu either. ive been though 5 cheapos over the past 7 months which has cost me more than a high quality one like a corsair.
  15. pctobeupgraded

ill keep it in mind
  16. pctobeupgraded

my bro received his case yesterday the psu worked fine with the card i guess ill post later if he have further problems with the psu but for now no cons! heh see ya
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.