Upgrade to Windows 10 should..

By vhalz
Sep 20, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hi

My file system were corrupted and sfc/scannow does not work, tried chkdsk but I encounter volume direct access error. So my last chance to restore file system on my windows is to upgrage from windows 7 to windows 10.

is my theory correct? Please assist me.

Thank you.
  2. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,213   +200

You could try is downloading Microsoft's Media Creation Tool onto a usb stick using another computer and hope that it will install W10 on your damaged system. As you say it sounds possible but things often don't go as we'd like.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Just because you have an issue with one OS doesn't mean your only solution is to upgrade. A reinstall or system recovery of your current OS is always an option.

Edit: In fact the issues you have can cause problems with Windows 10 upgrade, keeping it from completing. You should fix your OS to make sure the upgrade process has little reason to fail.
  4. vhalz

vhalz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

I've already exhausted all the possible solutions to the problem, scan disk cannot check my harddisk as it became unreadable because of the system corrupted file, what should I do?
  5. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,213   +200

The average computer user doesn't really relish reinstalling Windows and repairing an installation can also be a real pain. It's easy to see why the poster likes the idea of sidestepping the issue with an upgrade. The question is what if it goes wrong? Are they going to be any worse off?
  6. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,777   +241

Does it really matter. If win 7 is already corrupt. I doubt it will even be able to update to ten. This is just what I have seen from the computers I have updated for people.
    bazz2004 and cliffordcooley like this.