Upgraded from 98se to XP--delete 98 files??

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

I have a buddy who upgraded from 98se to XP pro. Well he says he didn't change anything and used the default stuff.

Now he has a WINDWOS directory, and a WINNT directory. I looked through it and if I remember correctly the WINNT is from 98 and the WINDOWS directory is for XP. Anyway he wants to get rid of the 98 files, to get more space on his laptop. In the WINNT directory ther is an Uninst16.exe and Uninst.exe, I am assuming those are for uninstalling 98, but I wanted to be sure first.

Now that I think about it, doesn't XP ask if you want to keep your existing OS in case you wanted to resort back?

Anyway, help getting rid of this is appreciated, thx.

Well - if you upgrade it's my assumption that you keep alot of the old system files, since it is an 'upgrade' after all. Try to delete the Win98 folder, if XP won't let you than you need it ;)

I don't think this is such a good idea. More input is needed, not that you are wrong Vehementi, but it is something that I wouldn't do. I suggested for him to just format and reinstall, but he doesn't want to do it.

I seriously doubt that the WINNT directory belongs to Win98 - it's not NT based. I can't think too clearly at the moment on a way for you to safely do this - maybe I'll be better in the morning.

LNCPapa

I think Uninst16.exe & Uninst.exe are actually used with older versions of Quicktime. He'd probably be best off not deleting anything in the Windows directory though (Winnt is where XP would be). If he wants to save space then he should convert the drive to NTFS & enable Compression on that Windows directory.

Yes it might be that WINNT is for XP and WINDOWS is for 98, I don't remember, and I didn't really think about whether or not it made sense. Good spot papa.

I'll just tell him to format and start over, it will be the easiest. It's not my computer, right?

Try renaming the WINNT file something like XWINNT and reboot.

If the syetem works OK, then you can delete the folder.

It is unlikely that you will be able to uninstall 98 when you have upgraded it to XP, because the setup uses the 98 files to update the system.

You really should do a clean installation of XP, as everyone is suggesting, because 98 and XP have completely different architectures.

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

There is a way to safely remove the old Windows in XP.
Now if my memory were what it used to be.. :p
If it isn't under Add/remove then it was under disk cleanup..
methinks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back