TechSpot

Upgraded my PC would like to use 64-bit OS

By harrisdurrani
Mar 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey there peeps,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I was running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 32 bit on my old CPU (Q8200) and Motherboard. Today I upgraded my CPU to a Core i5 and bought a new z77 Gigabyte motherboard with 8 gigs of ram.

However the problem is that I want to be able to use a 64 Bit Windows 8 pro with Media center. I upgraded my Windows 8 from my Windows 7 which was 32 bit before. What should I do now to upgrade my current 32 bit windows to a 64 bit windows?

Thanks

2. harrisdurrani

harrisdurrani TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 257

Also I just wanted to add that I upgraded my windows from Windows 7 through the upgrade assistance so I don't have the Bootable disk.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,405   +1,591

You can not upgrade from one bit version to another. Changing bit versions will require a fresh install. You will need to find Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit and install using either one of your keys. On second thought I don't think you can fresh install Windows 8 using an upgrade key. You may need to install Windows 7 64-bit first and then upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit, if Windows 8 is your goal.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

You can download the ISO and either burn it or mount it . Use the key you already have: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
    There is a registry "hack" in which you can use Windows 7 upgrade, but for the rookie user it is tough and you are better off buying a OEM copy. I am not sure if the "hack" applies for Win 8 though.

5. harrisdurrani

harrisdurrani TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 257

Thanks for the advice guys I was able to install windows 8 64 bit. I just burned a 64 bit windows 8 iso file on a usb drive. booted my PC with the USB did a fresh format and installed windows 8 64 bit without any problems. When I put in my key it said that the key was used by another user so I just clicked Activate by phone and it got done in a few mins.

thanks again. :)

misor likes this.
  6. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +185

Easiest way to do it(y)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.