Upgraded now wanting to overclock

LeeLuck

Hi all,
I just got some proper good advice on what cooler I needed to OC my pc and now I want to learn how to OC it safely, hopefully reaching 4GHz

My system is self built by me and here are a few internals listed.

Intel i7 950 LGA1366 3.06GHz
GA-X58-USB3 mb
12gig OCZ DDR3 1333MHz Triple channel XTC (will be removed)
XFX Radeon 6870 GPU
3x1TB Samsung F3 HDD
CoolMaster Silent Pro500W PSU
Antec 300 with 5 case fans (3xExhauts 2xIntakes)

On Order........

Corsair H80 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 24GB DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9 XMP Triple Channel RAM

Cpuz added for further info...

Now, I know diddly squat about OC'ing so I am at your mercy so to speak. I figure there will be much reading and learning to do but I am prepared to listen and learn so I get it right.

All I know is OC'ing is usualy done in the bios to which I am not afraid to venture into with your guidence but Gigabyte also do a utility program called "EasyTune6" which appears to easliy OC the system but I await your opinions on how to do this the correct way.

Any further screen shots or info I will get for you so here goes I guess lol

Thanks for any advice/info offered,

Regards,

Lee.

P.S.... before you ask lol I need to max out the RAM and get the max out of my CPU for the high end 3D software I use for modeling and animation, Texture maps and lighting are very CPU and RAM depenant.

Attachments

• IMAGE-EDIT-PC.txt
    120.6 KB · Views: 2
If your board comes with a UEFI BIOS and has an auto OC feature it's as easy as clicking a couple buttons and saving and restarting. If you want to manually tune your OC, you will have to basically do a little trial and error. What setting is best for one CPU and GPU may not be for another. You may get a 1.2Ghz OC on your CPU but an identical one may only get a 1.0GHz OC.

Thanks BuckShot, i appreciate nothing is set in stone regarding speed gains but it the actual OC procedure itself i need guidance with please. I will check with the Gigabyte site if my Bios has this UEFI option in the meantime. ;)

EDIT - Cant find any info at Gigabyte regarding UEFI :/

As mentioned in first post mate ;p So Easy tune is the way to go is it and not the manualy in the bios ?

As mentioned in first post mate ;p So Easy tune is the way to go is it and not the manualy in the bios ?

Stick with Easy Tune (at least at first) unless you are looking to go "green" and want as energy efficient machine as possible. If you want to learn to do it manually there are plenty of guides to get you started but every rig is different so the settings don't just simply carry over from one CPU to another. Most people overclock for gaming.

Back